So, pantyliners which differ from sanitary napkin aka the famous "pad", doesn't seem to have a specific word in Spanish.

What words are used in Spanish to mean "pantyliner"?

  • How about telling us how you'd like to use the term? Do you need it to match perfectly with what's on the market in a particular country? Is this simply to enable you to communicate effectively with a friend or relative? Help us help you. Commented Feb 4, 2018 at 3:22
  • 1
    @aparente001 I'm not sure if they even exist on other countries, I know their existence due to reading wikipedia article on feminine hygiene. I need as much information as I can get, it is sufficient with this: if there is a translation, and means the same product or the closest, I need at least one traslation, the answer given seems I will accept because satisfies that. I don't have to communicate with friends or relatives about this, but get online results in google by typing the translation this question will gave me. Thank you for your help Commented Feb 4, 2018 at 4:40
  • In Colombia Protectores diarios
    – DGaleano
    Commented Feb 14, 2018 at 14:32

2 Answers 2


Although there is no Spanish entry for "pantyliner" in wikipedia (your linked source), there is one in Wordreference, which translates as "pantiprotector" and "salvaslips". None are in the DRAE. I think I have never heard of "pantiprotector" but may have heard of "salvaslips" (or even "salvaslip").

Nevertheless, I believe that the more widespread term used for "an absorbent piece of material used for feminine hygiene [...] worn in the gusset of a woman's panties [...] for daily vaginal discharge, light menstrual flow, tampon and menstrual cup backup, spotting, post-intercourse discharge, and urinary incontinence" is "compresa".

The term "compresa" can refer also to some sort of sanitary pad, but it also refers to the "compresa higiénica", which is

  1. f. Tira desechable de celulosa u otra materia similar que sirve para absorber el flujo menstrual de la mujer.
  • I think "compresa" as you say means also sanitary pad made of clothes (thus non desechable) but again, it also other people say it for a desechable one. I thank you your translations seem helpful, thought I'll know with time if there is something more to say to the matter. Commented Feb 4, 2018 at 4:42
  • There is no regional tag on the question but fyi in Colombia we never heard of compresa exept compresas de agua fría/caliente which are used by athletes to calm sore muscles or injuries.
    – DGaleano
    Commented Feb 14, 2018 at 21:01

The word you're looking for is "salvaslip" or "protegeslip".

"Compresa" (pad) is a more general term, but normally used to mean the thicker ones.
Salvaslips are thinner and more discreet, but cannot absorb as much. Because of that, they are used only in the last days of your period, or in the days before as a protective measure against an unexpected start of it. Hence the name "salva slip" or "protege slip": they save/protect your panties from stains and give you some time to find a proper pad or tampon.

It is not in the dictionary (yet), but every woman will understand what you mean.

  • 1
    Thank you, this is VERY helpful indeed as the other answer, since it gives me one more word: "protege slip" Commented Feb 4, 2018 at 16:51
  • @Santropedro you should use a regional tag in this question because both answers so far do not apply to all Spanish speaking countries. I'm sure at least not for Colombia.. I see you are from Argentina but still accepted the other answer with less votes that looks like a good answer for Spain.
    – DGaleano
    Commented Feb 14, 2018 at 21:08
  • @DGaleano Yes, now it's late, but you are right in that I should have tagged Argentina. Now the answers wouldn't reflect ARgnetina so It doesn't make sense now. Maybe, should get separated into questions for every country specific. Commented Feb 14, 2018 at 22:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.