Does Spanish have words which can be pronounced with a different number of syllables? For example, in English one can pronounce lightning with 2 syllables, meaning the companion of thunder, and 3 syllables, meaning brightening.

I was wondering if Spanish has such words as well.

I think you will find that to make lighter is spelled lightening so you need a different example. – mdewey Jan 16 '18 at 22:06
  • @mdewey I was relying on wikitionary – dimid Jan 17 '18 at 4:42
  • I think you misunderstood what wiktionary says in that entry. (Thanks for posting the link.) – aparente001 Jan 17 '18 at 4:47
  • @aparente001 Could you elaborate? I was referring to meanings 1 and 4 of the word. – dimid Jan 17 '18 at 4:55
    Related --> Gentilicio para Austria ¿Qué determina el empleo de una u otra forma?. There you have a suffix whose pronunciation differs from one region to the other. – Alicia Jan 17 '18 at 8:59

Yes, but they tend to be barely perceptible to the average speaker because they tend to be based on dialect. For example, the word guion can be pronounced in one (/'gjon/) or two (/gi'on/) syllables. There is no change in meaning however. As the Ortografía points out:

Estas secuencias [de vocal cerrada átona y vocal abierta tónica], que en España y en una parte de América se articulan en muchos vocablos como hiatos, se pronuncian, en cambio, como diptongos o integrando triptongos en otras zonas, especialmente en México, Centroamérica y parte de las áreas caribeña y andina. Así palabras como piano, enviar, guion, jesuita, diurno o fieis son silabeadas por unos hispnohablantes separando las vocales contiguas en sílabas distintas: [pi.á.no], [em.bi.ár], [gi.ón], [je.su.í.ta], [di.úr.no], [fi.éis]; y por otros, agrupando las vocales dentro de la misma sílaba: [piá.no], [em.biár], [gión], [je.suí.ta], [diúr.no], [fiéis].

Sometimes you can have a hiatus in unstressed syllables and some speakers will have the resulting extra syllable. For example, any word with the prefix bio- which can be either /bi.o/ or /bjo/. The reasons for when someone would use one pronunciation or another are quite varied:

La articulación de determinadas secuencias vocálicas dentro de la misma sílaba o en sílabas distintas no solo depende de la procedencia geográfica, sino que se ve influida asimismo por otros factores, como la posición que la secuencia ocupa dentro de la palabra, la velocidad de emisión, el mayor o meno esmero en la pronunciación, la etimología o la analogía con otras palabras de la misma familia léxica, etc.

But these differences are not (by design) indicated in writing except when they affect the stressed syllable (as in vídeo ~ video, but those are spelt differently so they don't count as an answer to your question :-) ). None of these will affect the meaning of the word, however, as can happen in English read /riːd/ ~ read /rɛd/.

• I've come across a spectacular exception. I asked directions to the "Paseo Bravo." It took me a while to understand the answer (from a random person): she directed me on how to get to the Paseo Brap. – aparente001 Jan 17 '18 at 4:49
  • Thanks, are there regional differences between /bi.o/ and /bjo/ or is it a just a personal choice? – dimid Jan 17 '18 at 4:54
  • @dimid neither really. It's pretty spontaneous for any possible hiatuses like that. Most speakers aren't even aware that such a thing exists (unlike words like guion where they tend to hear it slightly) – user0721090601 Jan 17 '18 at 4:57
  • That is wrong in many dimensions. The problem with Bio, for example, is that if you assume Bio-tecnológico as two words, people tend to accent it in some way as if they were really two words: Bio and Tecnológico. So where should Bio has the accent? The tilde should be in Bío (/bi.o/) but not in Bio (/bjo/) (monosyllable). – Billeeb Jan 17 '18 at 10:36
  • But the rule says that the particle is not accented: Biotecnológico (which is correct) Is going to sound like /bjo/. But Bio-tecnológico, is felt like two words, therefore getting the two accents wrongly stressed: Bío-Tecnológico. And coming the particle from Bio (greek for live, life) is a compositional particle (Bio does not exist as a word in spanish, just as a prefix) the supposition that a wrong spelled word is a "regional difference" is absurd, specially when spanish is super straight forward in the pronunciation. – Billeeb Jan 17 '18 at 10:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.