For the case of manner indication, I am unsure which preposition becomes more appropriate for which instances.

An example of what I mean is :

Vamos a Italia en tren.

Vamos a Italia a tren.

Is this second preposition becoming 'en' because this 'a' repetition was deemed for some reason unwarranted?

An example of indication of manner using a may be:

Lo hice a mano

The answer is "no", because you could say

Vamos a Italia a caballo.

Vamos a Italia a caballo a jugar a la comba

It is not an unwanted repetition that makes you change it from a to en. It's simply that we say "voy a caballo" and "voy en tren".

Prepositions in every language are tricky, and the intricacies may vary.

It's true that preposition a is used to express method (in which way it's done):

vamos a pie

But en is used to express the means:

Vamos en tren/barco/coche

| improve this answer | |
  • I figured that, and I thank you for your response. – Abe Shudug Jan 13 '18 at 3:47
    Summed up, prepositions are very random. Even between close languages, they can vary widely. – user0721090601 Jan 13 '18 at 23:24
  • Think of it as this, "Let's go by train to Italy" vs "Let's go on the train to Italy". – dockeryZ Jan 14 '18 at 5:46
    Y con este +1 llegas a 30 000 puntos. ¡Enhorabuena! Que nunca te falten las ganas para seguir sumando decenas de miles. Los conocimientos te sobran para conseguirlo :) – fedorqui 'SO stop harming' Jan 25 '18 at 14:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.