Is there a Spanish translation for saying "the time is....". I know most of the time, people just say, it is 2:30PM or something, but is there a direct translation from English?

• You say that most of the time people just say "it's 2:30PM" or something like that. So in what contexts do people say (or can you hear) "the time is 2:30PM"?
    – Charlie
    Dec 11 '17 at 13:51
  • @charlie that construction is most common in English in transportation where time is often announced over a loudspeaker. Dec 11 '17 at 13:57
  • @Charlie the speaking clock (a telephone service) always used to say At the third stroke the time will be ....
    – mdewey
    Dec 11 '17 at 14:35
    @mdewey even for that kind of services I would just say "al tercer tono serán las...", omitting the "time" part.
    – Charlie
    Dec 11 '17 at 14:38

An option can be simply: La hora es

My grandmother had a radio that said aloud the time by pressing a button. With a robotic voice, it was like:

La hora es: 21 horas 20 minutos.

You can infer this translation from the translation of the question when we want to know what time it is:

What time is it? -> ¿Qué hora es?

and with that:

the time is -> la hora es

But as you and others have commented, the usual answer would be:

It's 9:30 a.m -> Son las 9:30 a.m / Las 9:30 a.m

• And if you want it to sound more officious, I suppose you could say, "La hora oficial es ..." or "La hora de Greenwich is ..." Dec 11 '17 at 20:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.