Primero mi pregunta en español:

Los sibilantes laminales y apicales en español: ¿Dónde puedo conseguir algunas buenas grabaciones?

Details in English:

I've been a student of Spanish for some time now and recently I've been trying to take my listening, speaking, and pronunciation skills to another level. I try to listen to a variety of Spanish dialects and in the course of my exploration of this language came across something that discussed the laminal sibilant or laminal consonant and the apical sibilant or apical consonant. Since then, I've attempted to find recordings of each of these sounds, but have not been able to find any.

I've read that the laminal is the English "s," and I'm assuming that the apical is more like the "th" sound in the word "thin," but whenever I listen to the Spanish spoken by some Spaniards, even the "s" (in words such as "sabes," "señor," "cosas," et cetera) doesn't always sound exactly like the "s" in English. Compare the following:

sofas

with:

cosas

In the recordings of “cosas,” listen to the pronunciation of reality3d and then the one by runnernet. It sounds as if the “s” pronounced by reality3d closely approximates the “s” used in English, but the one by runnernet sounds a bit different to me.

Most of the time, however, the “s” in English and the “s” in Spanish sound virtually the same to me, especially if the “s” starts the word.

Furthermore, the "th" sound (in words such as "entonces," "decir," "cerveza," et cetera) sounds a bit different as well. To me, it sounds as if more air is used when pronouncing words with "ci," "ce," or "z." Is this an accurate observation of the Spanish (as spoken by some Spaniards)?

Examples with audio:

In this first example (listen to the one by Sento pronouncing "entonces"), it almost sounds as if the “th” is a mix of the “s” and the “th” sound, whereas in English, you almost don’t even hear any air in the pronunciation of “th” and when it is clearly audible, it seems to be completely devoid of any “s” sound.

Compare forthcoming with entonces.

More audio examples:

Compare author with decir.

Compare thermal with cerveza.

Trying to distinguish the differences between regional variations is one thing, but trying to distinguish between the subtle differences in subregional variations that might vary from town to town or even family to family is very difficult to draw accurate conclusions from and use as a base of comparison to try to improve my own pronunciation.

If I were to be able to find some good recordings of experts pronouncing the laminal sibilant and the apical sibilant, emphasizing the difference between those two along with a description (or even better a video) of the physiology used in each (i.e., mouth shape, tongue placement), I think it would really help me (and others) utter these sounds with more confidence. Anybody know where I can find some good recordings of these sounds?

By the way, in my search for such recordings, I came across the following from the Wikipedia entry on Spanish dialects and varieties:

Variants of /s/

Debuccalization of coda /s/

Though I found the page very informative and recommend reading it, none of the descriptions of pronunciation appear to link up to any page containing audio of the specific examples.

As always, thanks in advance for your answers.

Detalles en español:

He sido estudiante de español desde hace ya algún tiempo y recientemente, he estado tratando de llevar mis habilidades de escuchar, de hablar y de pronunciar a otro nivel. Trato de escuchar a una variedad de dialectos españoles y en el curso de mi exploración de esta lengua, me encontré con algo que mencionó el sibilante o consonante laminal y el sibilante o consonante apical. Desde entonces, he intentado de encontrar grabaciones de cada uno de estos sonidos, pero no he sido capaz de encontrar ninguno.

He leído que el laminal es la “s” de inglés, y estoy asumiendo que el apical es más como el sonido de “th” en la palabra “thin”, pero cada vez que escucho al español hablado por algunos españoles, aún la “s” (en palabras como “sabes”, “señor”, “cosas”, et cetera) no siempre suena exactamente como la “s” en inglés.

[Véanse la sección en inglés por las grabaciones de audio.]

En las grabaciones de “cosas”, escuchen a la pronunciación de reality3d y entonces la de runnernet. Suena como si la “s” pronunciada por reality3d más se aproxima la “s” usada en inglés, pero la de por runnernet suena un poco diferente a mí.

La mayoría del tiempo, sin embargo, la “s” en inglés y la “s” en español suena virtualmente la misma a mí, especialmente si la “s” es la primera letra de la palabra.

Además, el sonido de “th”, (en palabras como “entonces”, “decir”, “cerveza”, et cetera) también suena un poco diferente. A mí, suena como más aire se usa al pronunciar palabras con “ci”, “ce”, or “z”. ¿Es esta una observación correcta del español (como hablado por algunos españoles)?

Algunos ejemplos más:

En este primer ejemplo (escuche al uno por Sento pronunciando "entonces"), casi suena como el “th” es una mezcla de la “s” y el sonido de “th”, mientras que en inglés, casi ni siquiera se oye nada de aire en la pronunciación de “th” y cuando es claramente audible, parece ser totalmente carente del sonido de la “s.”

[Véanse la sección en inglés por las grabaciones de audio.]

Tratando de distinguir las diferencias entre variaciones regionales es una cosa, pero tratando de distinguir entre las diferencias sútiles en variaciones subregionales que podrían variar de pueblo a pueblo o aún familia a familia es muy difícil de que extraer conclusiones exactas y usar como una base de comparación para tratar de mejorar mi propia pronunciación.

Si yo fuera capaz de oír unas buenas grabaciones de expertos pronunciando el sibilante “s” (laminal) y el sibilante “s” (apical), destacando la diferencia entre estos dos junto con una descripción (o aún mejor un video) de la fisiología utilizada en cada uno (es decir, forma de la boca, la colocación de la lengua), creo que realmente me ayudaría (y otros) a pronunciar estos sonidos con más confianza. ¿Alguien sabe dónde puedo encontrar algunas buenas grabaciones de estos sonidos?

De todos modos, en mi búsqueda por esas grabaciones, me topé con el siguiente de la entrada de Wikipedia en Spanish dialects and varieties:

[Véanse la sección en inglés por los enlaces.]

Aunque la página es muy informativa y recomiendo que se lea, ningunas de las descripciones de pronunciación parece que vincular a cualquier página conteniendo audio de los ejemplos específicos.

Como siempre, gracias de antemano por sus respuestas.

The apical shouldn't sound anything like an English th (IPA: [ð] or [θ]) , if anything it should most closely resemble the English sh (IPA: [ʃ]. Different Spanish speakers in Spain will vary between a more laminal or apical pronunciation, even for the same person. The current prime minister is notorious for his exceptionally apical pronunciation. Note, however, that the sound produced by a ce, ci or z is virtually identical to the th in English's thistle (IPA: [θ]) – user0721090601 Dec 2 '17 at 1:57
    The only aspect of this that I can weigh in on is the Peruvian speaker pronouncing cosas. I know people from Peru and and I'm familiar with what he's doing there. He's sitting longer on the final S than the average Spanish speaker does. It's just a cultural difference. I wouldn't get hung up on that particular peculiarity. Also I think that for Latin American Spanish the most important things, to achieve a beautiful accent, are, first, pure vowels and the absence of glottal stops; second, fairly equal syllables (I've seen this described as the rat-a-tat-tat of a machine gun); ... – aparente001 Dec 2 '17 at 3:00
    ... absence of air (aspiration) for hard c, p, t; and a flapped r and a rolled rr. Please feel free to record a short poem and post it in la Tertulia for feedback. Don't forget to ping me because I don't go there regularly. – aparente001 Dec 2 '17 at 3:02
    @pablodf76 - Oh. I noticed at spanish.meta.stackexchange.com/a/2587/9385 that you don't appear to have substantial experience living in an English-speaking country (why don't you make yourself a profile, by the way?). How the heck did your English get so good? – aparente001 Dec 6 '17 at 3:28
    @LisaBeck I'll try and do that. Can't promise anything. Speech waveforms won't help, though, I think. – pablodf76 Dec 6 '17 at 19:03