What is used in Mexican Spanish instead of the “os” to form the second person plural with an indirect object?

Most sources online point to “os” but in many Spanish speaking countries this is not used.

I am living in Mexico and I don’t ever hear the “os” used. I have heard “los”, “las”, and “les” but wasn’t quite sure how to use them.

Hello and welcome to Spanish Language! As is now, the question lacks some explanation on what did you investigate, what your hypotheses are, etc. Could you edit the post and show those, so we can assist you? – mdewey Nov 12 '17 at 13:29

Only in Spain do they use "os" for second-person-plural indirect objects (IO):

• Os ofrecemos un descuento. ("os" is the IO, while "un descuento" is the direct object.)

"os" can also be used as the direct object (DO):

• Os invitamos a participar.

In all other variants of Spanish, instead of "vosotros" the form "ustedes" is used, which is conjugated just like the third person plural "ellos". Therefore, "les" is used for IO and "los" or "las", depending on the gender, for DO:

• Les ofrecemos un descuento. (which, according to the context, can be interpreted as "We offer you(plural)/them a discount.")
  • Los/Las invitamos a participar. (which, according to the context, can be interpreted as "We invite you(plural)/them to take part.")
| improve this answer | |
    It's correct, but add that "les" (& los, las) is the ustedes form. That's why it is like that. – FGSUZ Nov 12 '17 at 14:48
  • You're right. I will. – Gustavson Nov 12 '17 at 21:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.