The second verse of the children's song "Al Agua Pato" goes like this:

Un poquito panza arriba
y otro poquitito al sol.
Cada cual a su manera
goza de la natación. (source)

I understand the third and fourth lines to be summarizing the previous two, saying that there are different ways to enjoy swimming. But, lines one and two seem to say the same thing! That is:

• "panza arriba" – belly facing upward
  • "al sol" – facing the sun (i.e., upward)

Am I misinterpreting lines one and two? Do they actually describe two different ways of swimming?

Castellano

El segundo verso de la canción infantil "Al Agua Pato" dice:

Un poquito panza arriba
y otro poquitito al sol.
Cada cual a su manera
goza de la natación. (fuente)

Entiendo que las líneas tres y cuatro son una resumen de las dos anteriores, diciendo que hay diferentes maneras de gozar de la natación. Pero me parece que líneas una y dos significan lo mismo. O sea:

• "panza arriba" – barriga hacia el cielo
  • "al sol" – hacia el sol (i.e., arriba)

¿Quizás mi entendimiento de las líneas una y dos está mal? ¿Realmente describen dos maneras distintas de nadar?

Children's songs (and sometimes songs, in general) are not always "accurate". They only have to sound good.

In this case you are right in your translations.

• "panza arriba" – belly facing upward
  • "al sol" – facing the sun / facing up

As we discovered there are other more consistent versions where they say "abajo" instead of "arriba" so describing two really different ways of swimming.

Video of the "abajo" version
Video of the "arriba" version

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.