Tú sabes.
Él sabe.
Nosotros sabemos.
Vosotros sabéis.
Ellos saben.

So far so good. However:

Tú y yo sabemos. --> Person: Nosotros?
Tú y él sabéis. --> Person: Vosotros?
Nosotros y ellos sabemos. --> Person: Nosotros, why not ellos?
Tú y todo el mundo sabéis. --> Person: Vosotros, why not ellos o nosotros?

It looks like there is an established order between persons, is it so?
How do we know which one to use when there's many different persons?
E.g. Ellos, yo y tú mismo {sabemos? sabeis? sabes?}.

2 Answers 2

Castellano

Sí, hay una prioridad con las personas a la hora de concordar el verbo, lo he descubierto investigando para mi pregunta sobre sujetos compuestos. La primera persona tiene prioridad sobre las demás y la segunda la tiene sobre la tercera.

En Wikilengua leemos:

Si los sujetos son de distinta persona, el verbo concuerda en plural con la persona que tenga prioridad (la primera persona tiene prioridad sobre la segunda y tercera; y la segunda, sobre la tercera).

Juan y yo iremos al cine, así que tú y Olga tendréis que esperar un rato hasta que lleguemos.

English

Yes, there is a priority with people when it comes to agreeing with the verb. I found out while investigating for my question about compound subjects. The first person has the priority over the other, as well as the second over the third.

It all depends on what you want to emphasise.

Tu y yo sabemos = Nostros sabemos.

The thing is that when you say "nosotros" it could be an unlimited number of people. Let's put an example:

• Me and you know he is cheating on her .- Here the emphasis is that you and me know something. I am not talking about other people
  • We know he is cheating on her. .- Me and you know it but there could be other that know it too.

There is not and established order between people. However, as @blonfu points in the comments, the use "yo" the last is a respect formality, not gramatical rule.

Therefore, normally the rule is to put "I" (YO) is the last.

Example:

You could never say "Yo y tu sabemos", the proper way to say it is "Tu y yo"; "Yo y ellos pensamos..." the proper way is "Ellos y yo pensamos...".

If you can't say " Ellos, yo y tu sabemos.." the right way is:

"Ellos, tu y yo sabemos".

• "(YO) is allways the last". Use yo the last is a respect formality, not gramatical rule: lema.rae.es/dpd/?key=yo
    – user14069
    Commented Sep 8, 2017 at 9:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.