conocer – to know, to meet

Subjunctive

Imperfect
yo conociera
tú conocieras

Imperfect 2
yo conociese
conocieses

I'm confused about what "Imperfect 2" (italic text above) is.

Please don't post the answer in full Spanish or I'll have trouble understand it. I'm new to Spanish.

• Actually the two ways are the same: dle.rae.es/?id=AMmujSR click in conjugar button. If you look the Pretérito imperfecto - subjuntivo conjugation are two ways to say – user14069 Sep 6 '17 at 12:51

The -ra and -se forms are the two alternative forms of the imperfect past, subjunctive mood (I'm assuming you know what the subjunctive mood is; if not, it will pop up soon enough in your Spanish class). There are a number of questions dealing with these; check this one out for a nicely documented answer. They mean almost exactly the same (although people often prefer one over the other) and are also used almost interchangeably. In principle you will have to learn both.

As far as I know these forms have no proper "official" name, and there are no widely accepted names in grammars or textbooks. Calling them imperfect and imperfect 2 is an arbitrary choice.

• Just another question: Is the subjunctive mood the same in English and Spanish? I'm native to neither but I think I have a good knowledge of English (as a foreign language). – iBug Sep 6 '17 at 13:12
  • @iBug No, the subjunctive is used in Spanish significantly more than in English. It is a bad idea to associate the two too closely. – rjpond Sep 10 '17 at 20:49

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.