Suppose I'm in the library studying. One of the couple of dozen people there sniffs every 132 seconds instead of blowing his nose. When I look around it's impossible to identify the source of the sniffing. This is one of the things that bother me the most about not being a hermit.

How can I talk about this horrible habit of sniffing in Spanish? I've never found a good way.

Sorber: 2. tr. Atraer hacia dentro la mucosidad nasal.
    – user14069
    Sep 4 '17 at 5:22

The sentence you're looking for is "sorber los mocos":

sorber.

Del lat. sorbēre.

1. tr. Atraer hacia dentro la mucosidad nasal.

Although it may appear that just saying "sorber" would suffice, I think it's better to be specific and say "sorber los mocos" (unless the context is very, very clear), because the first meaning of "sorber" is "to drink from a straw".

Gracias por responder tú. En inglés me expreso muy mal
    – user14069
    Sep 4 '17 at 7:27
    @blonfu - Sí, como dijo walen. El español es mi segundo idioma y actualmente vivo en EEUU. A veces por flojera pongo una pregunta en inglés pero si me das una respuesta en español te voy a entender. (O si incluyes alguna palabra o expresión que no conozco, te diré.) Sep 5 '17 at 13:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.