I'm aware that you can say "¿Qué tal tu día?", and "Cómo te fue el día?", but the second phrase is really asking someone how their day went.

Maybe ¿Qué tal tu día? is the exact same as asking someone how their day was, but "¿Cómo estuvo tu día?" seems like the most literal translation, so I wanted to ask: In what Spanish-speaking regions do people use the expression "¿Cómo estuvo tu día?" if any?

Common questions in Mexico: ¿Qué tal, cómo te ha ido? ¿Qué me cuentas? ¿Qué hay de nuevo? Cuéntame tus noticias. ¿Qué has hecho? I personally like to ask my son at bedtime, ¿Qué fue lo mejor de hoy? but I've never heard anyone else ask that. – aparente001 Aug 11 '17 at 4:01

As a general inquiry I would use:

• ¿Qué tal (fue/estuvo/anduvo) tu día?
  • ¿Cómo estuvo/anduvo tu día?

Note how estar and andar work in the same way here, and sometimes ser as well. In the second example I wouldn't use ser because ¿Cómo fue tu día? sounds like you're asking for a description.

These two can also be used but they may have different connotations:

• ¿Cómo te fue hoy? (sometimes suggests the other person had some important task or appointment ahead today, and you're asking how that went)
  • ¿Cómo estuviste/anduviste hoy? (sometimes suggests the other person had some ongoing trouble, such as an illness, and you're asking how they've been feeling)

You can sometimes substitute el día de hoy for hoy, but that sounds a bit more formal. In some places in Latin America people say hoy día (almost as a single word) for hoy.

| improve this answer | |

"¿Qué tal tu día?" is ambiguous as to the time being asked about. It could mean:

• How is your day (going)? (asked as the day is going on)

OR

• How did your day go? (asked at the end of the day)

In my country (Argentina), I've never heard "¿Cómo te fue el día?", which sounds ungrammatical to me. I very much prefer:

• ¿Cómo fue tu dia? / ¿Qué tal / Cómo estuvo tu día?

Notice that "cómo" will accept either "ser" or "estar", while when asking "qué tal" the verb "estar" will be preferred.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.