What is the natural way to translate 'good time to talk', as in a phone conversation that you would like to have with a friend later?

For example, how would you say '5pm is a good time to talk for me' in Spanish? To translate it literally sounds a little awkward: 'Las 5 es un buen momento para hablar por mi'.

BTW asking for translations without showing your effort or explaining the part you don't understand is off-topic here. – DGaleano Jul 21 '17 at 20:11
    The OP is proposing a translation of their own: Las 5 es un buen momento para hablar por mi and it sounds akward to them, thus, their are asking for other suggestions. – Diego Jul 22 '17 at 2:11

'5pm is a good time to talk for me'

Here's what my ear recommends for Mexico -- I don't know about other places. It would be more polite to pose a question. Culturally, others will understand that even though you are expressing yourself in a question, you are still making your preference understood. I have heard people from various parts of the Caribbean and Africa use this approach when talking in English.

This is similar to something we do in English -- notice that "It would be more polite" is softer than "It is more polite."

Thus, a couple of simple versions would be

¿Podemos hablar a las 5?

¿Podríamos vernos a las 5?

¿Te puedo llamar como a las 5? (Can I call you at around 5?)

If you know the person well:

¿Me llamas a las 5?

Te llamo a las 5, ¿está bien?

¿Vas a estar disponible a las 5?

Here are two verbs that would be a bit more precise:

quedar

I'm not finding the right definition in Linguée or DRAE, unfortunately. You would use this verb to say that a certain shirt fits you well (in terms of size) or that it combines well (in terms of color) with a certain pair of pants or that it suits you (in terms of style). In scheduling, it would mean that a certain time would be comfortable for you.

convenir

suit (Linguée)

Thus, the following would be a bit more formal (but not to the point of being stuffy) than the earlier proposals:

¿Lo puedo llamar más tarde? ¿Le quedaría bien a las 5 de la tarde?

¿Podríamos platicar [conversar] más tarde? Le conviene [convendría] llamarme como a las cinco? (Could we talk later? Would around 5:00 be convenient?)

You can also express regret and say when you'll free up:

Disculpa, ando un poco apurado/a ahorita pero voy a estar disponible a partir de las 5. (I'm sorry, I'm in a bit of a hurry just now but I'll be available any time from 5 on.)

• Thanks for this really in-depth comment! I am currently in Mexico, so I appreciate the explanation on the cultural context as well. I have noticed during my time here that asking a question implies your preference, which is not always the case in English. Would you say that it would be seen as rude to express my preference upfront, at least for a friend/friendly acquaintance? – Nate Jul 22 '17 at 22:30
  • @Nate - It might come across as a bit in-your-face, or perhaps a bit up tight. However, if you are a fairly recent arrival, people will likely take that into account and forgive what might otherwise be a social faux pas. – aparente001 Jul 23 '17 at 23:00

The "direct" translation is actually the form used in Spanish

Las 5 es un buen momento para hablar para mi

You could also use other forms, like

Me viene mejor hablar a las 5

Prefería hablar a las 5

Te viene bien hablar ahora (when calling someone on the phone)

This answer is correct but it sounds too "Spaniard". @Nate if you are interested in Spanish from Spain accept this as an answer or add a regional tag to your question to get more localized answers. – DGaleano Jul 21 '17 at 20:09

In Chile, in an informal situation, we prefer to say

Para mí las 5 es buena hora para hablar.

However (as Diego thinks) that is a direct translation that we would not use. Instead we would probably say

Me acomoda que hablemos a las 5.

A las 5 está bien que hablemos.

And in more formal situations:

Para mí, las 5 es una hora adecuada para que hablemos.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.