In English, one can connect two sentences with a colon. There can be a capital letter after the colon.

If I'm understanding the rules correctly, that capital letter after the colon is not possible. Did I understand correctly?

Example in English:

Flor is happy: She made her deadline.

Does it have to look like this in Spanish?

Flor está contenta: logró entregar el proyecto a tiempo.

Or can I use a capital L in logró?

I didn't know that was correct english – theonlygusti May 14 '18 at 18:57

According to RAE capitals should follow the colon only in certain cases (see section 3.3)

• In the salutation when writing a letter.
  • In certain documents, after the verb that "explains" the nature of the document (for example, a certification).
  • When reproducing a textual quote.

Check this section about capitals for more about when to use them. As you can see only sections 1.3, 1.4 and 1.6 are related to capitals after colon (the above examples).

When you have a cause-effect, or two sentences related without any other connector (see section 1.8) or an exemplification (see 1.5) you don't use capitals. To use their same examples:

Ya lo dijo Ortega y Gasset: «La claridad es la cortesía del filósofo». (This is a quote.)

Se ha quedado sin trabajo: no podrá ir de vacaciones este verano. (This is cause and effect.)

De vez en cuando tiene algunos comportamientos inexplicables: hoy ha venido a la oficina en zapatillas. (This explains the first clause.)

I think your example falls in the category described by section 1.8 "oraciones relacionadas entre sí sin necesidad de emplear otro nexo" so you don't start with capital after the colon.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.