This evening, I stopped into a local magazine shop and picked up the most recent issue available of a magazine that appears to be targeting those concerned with the latest female fashion trends.

One of the taglines on the cover reads:

Estrena

Lo que triunfará esta primavera

My questions involves the use of estrena. Of course, it is a tense of the verb estrenar, but it seems that the editors are using it as a way of saying something like Preview - What will triumph this Spring.

Is this correct? It just seems like it is the wrong person. To me, if they use estrenar in this context, why don't they use something like estrenamos?

• Estrenar doesn't mean to preview, it means to show off (for the first time) ~ to premiere. – user0721090601 May 13 '17 at 3:23

The tagline means

Wear something new

because, as @guifa said in a comment, estrenar means to premiere. In the context of clothes, it means to wear something for the first time. Men can do it too. Suppose my son has been given a tie for his birthday, and is playing a concert the next day. I might ask him, as he's preparing his concert clothes,

¿Quieres estrenar la nueva corbata?

Also, if person A, wearing a new outfit, runs into a close friend, person B, who knows A well enough to notice that the outfit is new, then B might say, in an admiring voice,

¿Estás estrenando? ¡Guapo/a!

Are you wearing something new? Lovely!

In short, the magazine is encouraging its readers to go out and buy new clothes. The two taglines together are then, loosely:

Wear something new

What's hot for spring

They are two totally separate sentences (taglines).

(I like that word, tagline.)

Update:

Here is what the relevant part of the cover looked like:

Vanidades cover image

Fair enough. So the editors are using the imperative of estrenar to say, "Hey, reader! Show off the clothes that will triumph this Spring!"? – Blamettu May 13 '17 at 3:59
  • @Blamettu - Yes. I'm sorry, I forgot to talk about the triumph part. I'll edit my answer. – aparente001 May 13 '17 at 4:05
  • @blamettu maybe, or if there's a person on the cover, it may be third person singular, saying that they are showing off a collection – user0721090601 May 13 '17 at 20:59
    @guifa - The magazine I am referring to is the April 2017 issue of Vanidades magazine. – Blamettu May 21 '17 at 17:30
    It is. I just remembered it wrong as I was typing. On mobile so I couldn't see comments and the image at the same time – user0721090601 May 21 '17 at 22:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.