It's in this phrase:

Walinemos in honor a nuestros abuelitos

This is a phrase from an "Ícaro" (traditional medicines songs). The complete lyrics is this:

LOS VERDADEROS CURANDEROS

Las verdaderas curanderas yo me supongo
hayan sido esas abuelas que trajeron medicina

Luego escogieron las plantitas
Mama Wilca, Ayahuasca
Wachumita, Chacrunita / Nakaikuna, Jicurito
Toe, Coca y Sairi

Por qué, por qué muy alegres
Por qué, por qué no muy tristes

Walinemos en honor a nuestros abuelitas

Los verdaderos curanderos yo me supongo
Hayan sido esos abuelos que trajeron ceremonia

Luego escogieron las plantitas
Mama Wilca, Ayahuasca
Toe, Coca y Sairi

Walinemos en honor a nuestras abuelitos

La verdadera curandera yo estoy seguro
haya sido Pachamama que nos dio sus medicinas

Luego nos brindó sus plantitas
Mama Wilca, Ayahuasca
Toe, Coca y Sairi

Walinemos en honor a nuestra Pachamama

Video of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlN-kfxVLxU

Based on this the answer that "walinemos" is a form for "bailemos" seem to make sense. Can someone confirm and/or explain where this form originated ?

Welcome to Spanish Language. Maybe you should check the tour and help center sections to understand better the philosophy of this site. When you ask, is a good idea to show previous research effort. You should give some context too. Was that in a chat? My guess is that it is "bailemos" instead of "walinemos" (typo or similar). See some of the other questions for more insight about formatting, how to write a good question etc. If you need help feel free to ask via comments or in Spanish Language Meta. We are here to help.
    – Diego
    Apr 12 '17 at 2:16

Diego's answer isn't too far off. The word does indeed mean dance, more or less, but it doesn't come from bailar.

The specific line comes from a song, Las verdaderas curanderas (which I believe is written by Kike Pinto but that may be bad information from the internet)

Por qué, por qué muy alegres,
por qué, por qué no muy tristes
Walinemos//Hualinemos en honor a nuestros abuelitos/nuestra Pachamama

The hu- traditionally used to transcribe Quechua words is now generally spelt w- in modern orthography.

According to a Licentiate thesis by Elías Rengifo de la Cruz, the word hualina refers to songs and the dances that accompany them:

la hualina es canto y danza cuya referencia principal es el agua y todo acontecer emocional o social que tenga que ver con ella. (p. 66)

The author cites Rosario Olivas Weston's book Marcahuasi, mito y realidad. Un manual de información para visitar el pueblo de San Pedro de Casta y la meseta de Marcahuasi which makes specific reference to the verb:

Hualinar es la acción de bailar las hualinas, dando vueltas alrededor de las Mayoralas, Cantor y Abanderado, en una u otra dirección, simbolizando los remolinos que se forman en las acequias. (p. 62 originally, p. 65 in the thesis)

Thus, the particular line could be translated as follows

May we/Let us sing and dance in honor of our grandmothers

while recognizing that the song and dance is a special one with particular relation to the yaku raymi (or water festival/fiesta del agua).

• By the way, do know what is the "Nakaikuna" mentioned in the lyrics ? Apr 12 '17 at 20:48
    @nelsonteixeira I believe it is a plant of some sort. Alternatively it could be an local figure Apr 12 '17 at 22:32
  • Found it. "Nakaikuna" it's magic mushrooms. Apr 13 '17 at 22:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.