Today I was ordering at the local taqueria and I wanted to ask whether my meal came with chips. The verbatim translation would use the verb 'venir', something like "viene con chips", but this seems like an abuse of the word venir. One could ask whether "mi orden incluye chips" but this seems a little too formal. What would be the best way to ask this, specifically in an informal/casual Mexican dialect?

Another possibility besides "venir con" and "llevar" is traer, not in the sense of bringing but of carrying:

-¿Trae papas fritas?

-Sí, esta semana el combo trae doble papa gratis.

Do you have a sense of how common this would be, and/or how clear the subject of the sentence would be? As in, if I asked this while ordering, it is clear that I'm asking whether my meal "trae papas fritas", or might this be interpreted as "will you bring me chips"? Apr 3 '17 at 4:18
    @ChocolateAndCheese: It's very common. Besides: if you wanted to ask "Will you bring me chips?" you'd have to say: "¿Me trae (usted) papas fritas?" (present... habit) or "¿Me traerá (usted) papas fritas?" (future). That "Me" (or "nos" if there's more than one person at the table) makes a lot of difference. :-)
    – Wences
    Apr 3 '17 at 10:25
    @ChocolateAndCheese: It has both senses: el mesero trae las papas ("the waiter brings the chips") and la carne trae papas ("the meat comes with chips"). Wences comment clears everything.
    – Rodrigo
    Apr 3 '17 at 14:19
  • @ChocolateAndCheese - Actually, I think you raised a good point. If you are a foreigner, your Spanish may be assumed to be a bit compromised and over-simplified, and someone could indeed interpret "¿Trae papa frita?" as "Are you bringing potato chips / fried potatoes?" which could suggest some impatience and rudeness, and that would not ingratiate you to the waiter. May 9 '17 at 5:00

¿Con qué viene acompañado?

¿Con qué viene? (least formal)

¿Cuáles acompañamientos tiene? (most formal)

I found these suggestions in http://www.costaricaspanish.net/2010/12/phrases-for-the-restaurant/; they all sound fine to my ear (which is tuned to Mexican Spanish).

• This applies to Colombia too
    – DGaleano
    May 8 '17 at 16:43

At least in Argentina and Uruguay you will probably be better understood if you use "venir".

¿La carne viene con papas?

this applies to Colombia too.
    – DGaleano
    May 8 '17 at 16:42
  • What does this April 3 answer contribute that my April 2 answer did not? Also, note that the question clearly requests an answer for Mexico, not South America. May 9 '17 at 4:57

This is an old question but I've noticed it because it was used to mark a duplicate.

It specifies Mexican Spanish but this phrase appears in another answer

I would say venir is grammatically wrong (and idiomatically awkward in any case)

In Spain the sentence "¿viene con patatas?" is used commonly, it's totally normal and understandable and it's NOT grammatically wrong neither idiomatically awkward.

According to the R.A.E

venir

1. intr. Dicho de una persona o de una cosa: Llegar a donde está quien habla.
    English translation: Applied to person or a thing: Arrive where the speaker is.

So if you say "¿esta carne viene con patatas?" you are asking "do this meat come with fries?" [come and arrive are synonyms in this case, and I think that "come" is more idiomatic in English].

I would just say:

¿Lleva patatas/chips?

I would say venir is grammatically wrong (and idiomatically awkward in any case), as ir/venir (and llevar/traer) don't work exactly as in English, and this is one case in which the perspective of the speaker changes.

And I would definitely not use orden as a translation of order, although I think it's quite common in Mexican Spanish.

• I was quite surprised to discover the usage of orden as a translation of order! I had already heard about carpeta for "carpet" and other, I guess the list can just increase with two languages "living" in the same areas. Apr 2 '17 at 9:33
    According to DRAE: 19. f. Cuba, Méx. y R. Dom. Relación de lo que se va a consumir en una cafetería o restaurante. In Argentina we use "pedido" for "order" ("orden" is more readily associated with a "purchase order" of some other kind), and we do use "venir": ¿El pedido viene solo o con guarnición? We wouldn't use "llevar". Example: gurudeofertas.com/oferta/5127/…
    – Gustavson
    Apr 2 '17 at 11:25
    Aditionally to what @Gustavson said (I'm also argenintinian and agree with all of it) "llevar" would be used if you are talking about the ingredients of a dish: El gulash ¿lleva cebolla? But it's different from the sense of the question because in that case you're not asking if it comes with onions on the side, you're asking if it is made with onions.
    – Wences
    Apr 2 '17 at 14:24
    @Gustavson I spent some time in Argentina and definitely used 'venir' in this situation and was understood, but for some reason it never felt quite right. I guess it was okay there though. Apr 3 '17 at 4:14
    Patatas? In Mexico? Maybe "chips" has been adopted since I left Mexico, but I can't imagine "patatas" would have replaced "papa frita." May 9 '17 at 4:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.