I am wondering about the use of the object 'lo' with infinitives, and also the simple future (using ir).

Which is preferred in these examples, and why?

• "Voy a lanzarlo" vs "Lo voy a lanzar"

• "Voy a comerlo" vs "Lo voy a comer"

• etc.

I feel like I prefer the lanzarlo/comerlo version but am I correct? Are both acceptable? Is there ever an acceptable situation for "Lo voy a ....."?

1 Answer 1

Both are acceptable, correct, and both are used in free variation by native speakers, i.e. the same speaker will use either in any context without any reason, randomly.

You may want to add that historically, only "Voy a tirarlo" would have been considered correct at the beginning of an utterance, but nowadays it is more common (as evidenced by Google books) to prefer proclisis. Mar 24, 2017 at 12:19
  • I'd only add that the pronoun in front position makes the DO slightly stronger than in end position: A: Quiero que lo tires ya - B: Ya dije que LO voy a tirar (slight emphasis on what is being thrown away rather than on the action of throwing - anything - away).
    – Gustavson
    Mar 25, 2017 at 2:38
  • @Gustavson, that might be true in some cases, but I think that it does not usually make any difference. Do you have any references to that?
    – Paco
    Mar 26, 2017 at 4:37
    @Paco At the bottom of footnote 1 on the first page of this paper (google.com.ar/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://…) I found something in line with my view: Creo que, cuando el pronombre se antepone a la perífrasis, tal vez el hablante trata de poner mayor énfasis en el pronombre; mientras que cuando éste se pospone, quizá desea dar mayor relieve a la acción expresada por el sintagma.
    – Gustavson
    Mar 27, 2017 at 23:02
    @Wences "a" will only be used with inanimate nouns after the verb with prepositional verbs, in which case "a" will introduce the complement known as complemento de régimen, for example: A eso hay que acceder cuanto antes . (Hay que acceder a eso). Notice that this does not apply to the case in question. where "eso" is the direct object: * A esto lo voy a tirar / Lo voy a tirar a esto. (wrong)
    – Gustavson
    Mar 29, 2017 at 13:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.