I am struggling with polite questions. I am going to meet with a conductor and would like to ask the following question in Spanish: ‘Would you happen to have any scores so that we be able to follow you during the rehearsals?’

I have come up with these variants:

¿Es posible que tenga unas partituras para que podamos lo seguir durante los ensayos?

¿Podrias darnos unas partituras para que podamos lo seguir durante los ensayos?

Are these valid or considered as non-standard? How would you ask the question yourself?

• In case of doubt (like in the first sentence, where you translate directly from English "Is it possible to have") just add "por favor". Regardless of if you grammar is 100% the listener will understand that you are trying to make a polite request in a language you are not proficient with, and not just a demand. – Diego Mar 8 '17 at 2:51

Both are good approaches, but they do not sound properly. I think the main error is "lo seguir", in Spanish it would be "seguirlo". Note that the verb seguir is also used as an intransitive verb, so "seguirle" is also right.

Other issues:

• The first sentence starts with "es posible que", which does not sound quite right.
  • The second sentence uses instead of usted.

In Spanish we use the courtesy conditional tense for these kind of expressions. So for me your two sentences would be something like this:

¿Sería posible disponer de partituras para que podamos seguirle durante los ensayos?

¿Podría usted darnos partituras para que podamos seguirle durante los ensayos?

Note that I have not got deep into every issue in your sentences. If you need further explanations, please ask new questions, one for each issue you need more detail for.

• More latinamerican alternatives: ¿Tendría disponibles unas partituras para nosotros poderlo seguir durante los ensayos? ¿Podría darnos/prestarnos unas partituras para nosotros poderlo seguir durante los ensayos? – DGaleano Mar 7 '17 at 14:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.