Spanish's verbs change shape. For example:

               comer (Standard)
          (Yo) como
          (Tú) comes
    (Él, Ella) come
    (Nosotros) comemos
    (vosotros) coméis
(Ellos, Ellas) comen

Does Spanish have a technical word that expresses this?

  • 2
    By the way, what you call the standard verb shape is actually the infinitive.
    – Jdamian
    Commented Dec 22, 2016 at 14:38

1 Answer 1


In Spanish, the verbs have conjugacionesconjugations. In your example, you have written the conjugación for the present indicative of verb comer. Conjugarto conjugate— means to enumerate or use a verb in all its different forms.

Tip: in the DRAE you can look up a verb (like comer) and click the Conjugar button to access every "shape" of the verb for every tense.

  • Incluso más técnicos quizá serían flexionar y flexión Commented Dec 23, 2016 at 1:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.