As the title says, what word includes both "diseñar" and "desarrollar" meanings? This is in the context of software development.

I would think on "crear"
    – fedorqui
    Commented Dec 11, 2016 at 16:27
    I agree with @fedorqui, if you want to group the two words together you need to go for some more general words, like crear or construir un sitio web, as the construction of a web site (or any other piece of software) imply a lot of tasks including the design and development of the site.
    – Charlie
    Commented Dec 11, 2016 at 19:29
    You are probably asking for a non-existent word because it join two concepts that in reality would never come together, like "a word that means both a fruit and the dish on which it is served." Is there a word in any language that brings together "diseño" and "desarrollo"?
    – Rodrigo
    Commented Dec 13, 2016 at 21:53
  • If you look both words in any dictionary you will see that they are not synonyms in any context. So the answer is There is no word meaning the same as two other words that are not synonyms of each other
    – DGaleano
    Commented Dec 14, 2016 at 13:03
  • @DGaleano Regardless of what these words may "technically" mean according to the dictionary, I would say that Diseñar does not imply Desarrollar but that in the software industry Desarrollar may or may not imply the inception and design stages. Thus, they may not be synonyms, but there is ambiguity in the scope of Desarrollar for this specific domain. The OP could technically use Desarrollar and imply both software stages (that would be the word he is looking for), but it would be impossible to know for sure if he was including the diseño or not.
    – Diego
    Commented Dec 14, 2016 at 15:16

1 Answer 1

None. And it may be not surprising. Although in other contexts these words may be synonyms, in software we specialized their meanings, in order to describe phases of software development (or software engineering). What is worse, Spanish had to catch up with terms in a different language as technologies an methodologies developed. I don't think the Spanish terms lack a depth of meaning that terms may have in different languages. I just think these terms got "overloaded" when incorporated to the software industry.

Diseñar would imply that you were involved in the early stages of the project/application, lets say, the Análisis de requerimientos, Especificación, Diseño de la arquitectura o modelo and the like.

Desarrollar implies Programación or the coding itself. In the context of software engineering it will probably imply testing and debugging.

You want to convey the (full life cycle of the) development of software for a given project (at least until the development phase, according to your question. I don't know if Q&A is intended as well to be on the scope of the meaning of the word you are looking for...).

So unfortunately, desarrollo (development) is (or has become) ambiguous enough to carry both the meaning of just a specific step of the development cycle (coding) and the boarder meaning that it has in different context (meaning realization, fulfillment or "bring to existence" of an idea, project, task, ...) thus meaning "whole software life cycle development".

If you were to describe on your (Spanish) resume that you took part both on the coding and the analysis-design of an application you will need to be explicit about it, since no single word covers both "Diseño y desarrollo" without ambiguity in software.

This also applies to English, the Software Development Life Cycle includes both design (diseño) and development (desarrollo). If the question was asked for a word that means both design and development in English, you would face the same predicament. So, while Spanish had to catch up with some terms, that might not be the case for these two. A lot of the terms of software development have been borrowed from existing industries, mainly the construction industry. I do agree that there is "none" without more explanation from OP to what he is trying to convey and an equivalent English word.
    – Jorge
    Commented Dec 13, 2016 at 21:19
    Great answer that goes beyond the topic to talk about this very interesting topic of Spanish had to catch up with terms in a different language as technologies an methodologies developed. The language is clearly behind and its attempts to use native words are normally overwhelmingly surpassed by the Spanishation of the English word. Browsing through questions with the tag informática reveals multiple cases.
    – fedorqui
    Commented Dec 14, 2016 at 7:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.