I take it from this answer that when saying something like

Dile a él ...

The a él part is not necessary and can be left out, it is just for clarification.

Now I am wondering if I could just leave out the le. Besides the fact, that it sounds clumsy, are the following three phrases the same?

• Dile ...

• Dile a él ...

• Di a él ...

Dile is sufficent and the more correct form, dile a él is more enfatic, you want to use this form to avoid ambiguity, because dile can mean dile (a él) as well as dile (a ella).

Di a él is not correct. When an explicit object (direct or indirect) is a pronoun (mí, ti, vos, él, ella, Vd., nosotros, nosotras, vosotros, vosotras, ellos, ellas, Vds.), it is obligatory to use the corresponding unstressed object pronoun (so the unstressed pronoun, or both, but not just the explicit).

Nicely explained! I wondered if Di a él was correct or not, because it sounds strange to me. Nov 17 '16 at 16:32
    @fedorqui Di a él is not correct. When an explicit object (direct or indirect) is a pronoun (mí, ti, vos, él, ella, Vd., nosotros, nosotras, vosotros, vosotras, ellos, ellas, Vds.), it is obligatory to use the corresponding unstressed object pronoun (so the unstressed pronoun, or both, but not just the explicit). For any other object, you can use either or both. Nov 17 '16 at 21:54
  • @guifa thaks a lot for the clarification. I have added it into the answer. Nov 18 '16 at 8:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.