The sentence in question is the following:

El gobernador le extendió el perdón al prisionero.

The word 'le' seems redundant to me. I know it means (to) him. Is not the object specified directly (al prisionero)? Will the sentence be still correct if we remove 'le'?

• You are right, le here is wrong since the indirect object is also stated in the sentence. Some good readings on how this could be valid: Duplicación de los complementos directo e indirecto, Reduplicación del complemento en posición preverbal and from RAE: Pronombres personales átonos. – fedorqui 'SO stop harming' Oct 29 '16 at 22:35
    @fedorqui it's not 'wrong', it's optional. And it's usual to include it in oral speech. See 5.2.a in the RAE article you linked. – rsanchez Oct 30 '16 at 13:41
  • I know it's not directly related to the question, but I've never heard the verb "extender" in that context. It's true that a possible meaning of that verb is to write down something official, but one do not write the "perdón"(don't know how to say it in english in this context, forgiveness?), one do write the document where the "forgiveness" is officially reflected. So if I want to use the verb "extender" I'd use "certificado de perdón" or whatever the legal name of that document, in other case I wouldn't use that verb, for example: "El gobernador dió el perdón" or "El gobernador perdonó". – Nox Oct 30 '16 at 16:10
  • @Nox perdon = pardon in English – mdewey Oct 30 '16 at 17:46
  • @rsanchez very good catch! Thanks. To me it did sound a bit bad and I did not read all the article throughly enough to find this case. – fedorqui 'SO stop harming' Oct 30 '16 at 18:38

Greatings from Spain, Fire758.

If 'le' is redundant or not depends on the context. In formal registry, we told

El gobernador extendió el perdón al prisionero.

Because we don't want to emphasize the figure who performs the verbal action. If you want to emphasize the person, you can use 'le'.

Have a good day!

| improve this answer | |
    In other words, the redundance is not necessarily wrong. – Rafael Oct 30 '16 at 16:45
    Note that the le is optional if and only if the explicit object (prisioneto) is not a personal pronoun. If it is, the duplication is mandatory (le extendió ... a él or me extendió ... a mí). In such a case, the optional element is the explicit reference (you can say me extendió or me extendió a mí but not extendió a mí) – user0721090601 Oct 31 '16 at 1:53
  • Muchas gracias por tu ayuda :))) I am still a novice so I am not very good at catching such subtleties – Fire758 Oct 31 '16 at 22:09
  • @guifa - Would you write an answer when you have a chance, or propose a duplicate? – aparente001 Jun 11 '18 at 15:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.