Vi un post de una amiga mía en Facebook. Era sobre su familia. Escribió algo como:

mi familia (fotógrafo).

Entonces, escribió algo, pero no sé qué:

• las amo
  • los amo
  • la amo

Yo sé que es una palabra feminina, pero no estoy seguro de si hay que decir las, los o la amo. Como:

My family. I love them.

From what I see, you want to know what to pronoun to use when translating My family. I love them.

Since familia is a feminine, singular noun, the intuition makes us think that la should be the correct one:

Mi familia. La quiero

However, this mentions family as a whole and you normally want to express the love for each and every member. For this reason, I do think that it is more idiomatic to use los:

Mi familia. Los quiero

Which matches what you do in English (My family is singular, I love them uses the plural).

| improve this answer | |
  • I forget where it was in the gramática (or DPD) that talked about this. It mentioned the conditions under which one would (/could) have the apparent ungrammatical mismatch. – user0721090601 Oct 24 '16 at 13:55
  • @guifa I found some references in the gramática around article 12.4, but could not find the exact one (it is a bit messy, since each result has a little screenshot of the book, it would be useful to have bigger sections). – fedorqui 'SO stop harming' Oct 24 '16 at 14:05
    if this answer resolved your doubt, please remember to mark it as 'answered' with the green check mark. @GinaAxella – antorqs Oct 25 '16 at 9:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.