Me gustaría conocer frases en español que signifiquen lo mismo que la siguiente frase en inglés:

"With each passing hour/day/year/etc ..."

Por ejemplo:

"With each passing day, her knowledge of Spanish increased."

_____?_____, sus conocimientos de español aumentaban.

Cuando lo intento traducir directamente, mi opción es "Con cada día/año/etc pasado..."

¿Es correcto? ¿Es esta una forma común de decir esto, o hay otras frases más comunes para este concepto?

In my answer I'm going to try to keep the translation as closer to the original phrase as possible, because there're so many valid ways to say the very same. So I'm going to be concret.

In the translation there's a little mistake. The verb. It's past, but It's in the wrong form.

With each passing hour/day/year/etc ...

• Con cada día/hora/año que pasaba, sus conocimientos de español crecían.

The next one is another valid translation.

• Con cada día/hora/año que pasaba su dominio del español mejoraba.

A shorter way:

• Cada día/hora/año que pasaba su español mejoraba.

We can also change cada (each) by el paso de:

• Con el paso de los días/meses/años su español mejoraba.

Finally the shorter one:

• Con los días/horas/años su español mejoraba.

We have elided that the time goes by, we just mentioned days/months/years for such meaning

Note that In spanish (at least in Spain), we speak about improving our language skills rather than increasing the knowledge about the language.

However, both ways (to improve and to increase) are interchangable in this phrase. Both are valid.

Note: passing is in continuous form. The -ing brings motion to the time. In spanish the motion has been introduced by que: que pasaba. This is the way we do reference explictly to the motion of the time.

If we want just to use the verb without que. We could also say:

• Pasaban los días/horas/años y su español mejoraba.

Semantically both say the very same. Sintactically both are differents. The last one would not be an acurated translation to the original one.

You can also say a cada hora/mes/día/año/momento que pasaba. – Charlie Oct 21 '16 at 6:37
    All your examples are good but I disagree when you say that the first one sounds forced. It only means something different but is ok. I'm a native spanish speaker and my spanish skills are quite good, however my main goal of participating on this forum is to increase my knowledge of the Spanish language. You can both improve your skills and grow your knowledge of a language. Anyway +1 good answer. – DGaleano Oct 21 '16 at 18:51
    Well, that's why I said "sounds to me .. I would say". Just saying I'm not familiar with that way to speak about skills or knowledge. Anyways, as we see in the rest of the answers, there're many and good ways to say the very same. May be I should not mention my own preferences when answering questions here. It could lead to confusion. – user11977 Oct 21 '16 at 19:26
    Redited the answer. I removed references to personal opinions or preferences. They didn't bring valueable info to the answer. – user11977 Oct 21 '16 at 19:38

Apart from Laiv's answer, there is a shorter way of saying the same:

por momentos

1. loc. adv. progresivamente.
  2. loc. adv. de un momento a otro.

So you can just say:

Su español mejoraba por momentos.

The same is valid for other units of time:

Su español mejoraba por días.

Another option:

día a día

1. loc. adv. De manera continuada y progresiva o reiterada.

So:

Su español mejoraba día a día.

You can also say:

Su español mejoraba día tras día.

Su español mejoraba año tras año.

More options:

de un día a otro, o de un día para otro

1. locs. advs. En muy poco tiempo o de manera inminente.

So:

Su español mejoraba de un día para otro.

Su español mejoraba de un mes/año a otro.

• Even shorter, just "Cada" ("Cada día, cada hora, cada minuto, su español mejoraba"). – SJuan76 Oct 21 '16 at 8:32

As a venezuelan, I can tell by the way that we speak here, we say

con cada día/hora/minuto que pasaba

Ejemplo:

"Con cada día que pasaba, su conocimiento de Español mejoraba"

There are also another expressions as for example:

Conforme corrían las horas

O

Conforme pasaban las horas

Ejemplo:

"Conforme corrían/psaban los días, su conocimiento de Español mejoraba"

That is correct but for the present and the question refers to past (increased) You can improve this answer given both examples of present and past since the other answers have not said anything about that. – DGaleano Oct 21 '16 at 18:54
  • DGaleano in that case, you could use "pasaba", thanks I'll correct this issue. – Airam Metal Nov 1 '16 at 12:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.