What would you call "coniferous tree" and "deciduous tree" in Spanish?

Suggestions:

• coniferous tree = árbol de coníferas, conífera

• deciduous tree = árbol de hoja caduca, árbol caducifolio

2 Answers 2

Let's see the English definitions:

• Coniferous: a bush or tree (such as a pine) that produces cones and that usually has leaves that are green all year.
  • Deciduous: having leaves that fall off every year.

Now let's see the DRAE definitions for your options about coniferous:

conífero, ra

Del lat. conĭfer, -ĕri.

1. adj. Bot. Dicho de un árbol o de un arbusto: Del grupo de las gimnospermas de hojas persistentes, aciculares o en forma de escamas, fruto en cono, y ramas que presentan un contorno cónico; p. ej., el ciprés, el pino o la sabina.

And now the definitions for your options about deciduous:

de hoja caduca

1. loc. adj. Dicho de un vegetal: Que, con las estaciones, pierde las hojas y las renueva.

caducifolio, lia

Del lat. cadūcus 'caduco' y folium 'hoja'.

1. adj. Bot. Dicho de un árbol o de una planta: De hoja caduca, que se le cae al empezar la estación desfavorable.

So it seems that all your options are perfectly valid. In the first case I would say just conífera.

• Is also common in coloquial speech (or at least I've heard it a lot) to just talk about "árboles caducos", which is technically incorrect but understandable (and shorter).
    – Darkhogg
    Oct 21, 2016 at 11:01

Adding to Carlos Alejo's earlier answer, in my experience I've heard "conífera" used interchangeably with "árbol de hoja perenne" (evergreen tree), although coniferous trees are technically a subset of evergreens, according to their definition.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.