My teacher is being very unclear on why my answer for this question is wrong and I just wanted to clarify how I was wrong.

The question is:

¿Viajas mucho en tren?

and I answered:

No, yo no viajar en absoluto en tren.

If someone could explain it a little better that would be much appreciated.

• Are you are aware that you are not conjugating the verb viajar while answering? – fedorqui 'SO stop harming' Oct 12 '16 at 13:31
    she said that the problem was the "no" at the beginning of the sentence. she never said anything about the conjugation of the verb, but i do see that now. – bajohnson Oct 12 '16 at 13:34
  • It is funny, here in Spain it sounds fine to say No, yo no viajo en absoluto en tren. What dialect of Spanish are you learning? I mean, is she teaching you Spanish from a specific country? – fedorqui 'SO stop harming' Oct 12 '16 at 13:45
  • I've asked her that and she just said "Spanish", so i have no idea. – bajohnson Oct 12 '16 at 13:47
    Ask her who in Spain answer such question starting with "yo". We elide the subject like she did in the question... What a teacher... – user11977 Oct 12 '16 at 16:37

The answer is incorrect because the verb is not correctly conjugated. See, in English, we say

She/He doesn't travel much

We/They/I don't travel much

It's clear to see the verb 'travel' form doesn't change with the person we're talking about, and is also the same as the infinitive form for it; however, in Spanish, we say

Ella/El no viaja mucho

Yo no viajo mucho

Nosotros no viajamos mucho

Ellas/Ellos no viajan mucho

Take notice on how the verb here does change with the person we're talking about. This is because in Spanish verbs are conjugated differently. For further reference, here is a chart that might help you. In this chart, the conjugation you're looking for is Present for Yo.

Hope this helps

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.