I have translated "rebuke" into Spanish. It is a verb. These are the three translations for it:

What is the difference among them?

The sentence is the following:

Peter rebuked to me that I didn't do well in the project.

Hypothesis: "reprender" only means the rebuke, "echar en cara" and "reconvenir" are another translations of rebuke, "regañar" has more meanings

They are roughly equivalent, and all they can be apt translations of rebuke.

• Reprender is more appropriate for more "formal" situations, in which the person who rebukes has some authority over the other (an employer, a teacher), or where the rebuking is done with circumspection and intent of correction. Reconvenir is a (less used) synonym.

• Regañar is for more "hot" situations, the person who rebukes is typically angry and tired (akin to "scold"). In Argentina (at least) a more used (slightly colloquial) term is retar.

• Reprochar is (rather like reproach) to let a person know that we strongly disapprove some concrete act of him/her.

I'd go further and say that reprender and regañar are better for vertical relationships (boss to employee/parent to child), while reprochar is also suitable for horizontal ones: there can actually be reproches cariñosos
    – Rafael
    Oct 3 '16 at 16:18
  • Me gusta el uso de "reprochar" para traducir "rebuke" en las siguientes oraciones: Supreme Court Gets a Rare Rebuke y The Supreme Court's rebuke
    – David
    Oct 9 '16 at 0:07
  • Otro significado de la palabra "rebuke" es "corregir".
    – David
    Oct 11 '16 at 12:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.