I'm reading a book and there's this phrase:

Te elegimos a ti en concreto

I wonder in what situations should the objective pronoum be repeated this way. Or it's allowed to be repeated.

• At least where I live, it is unusual to hear me gusta... people almost always say a mí me gusta... (at least when starting a sentence) as a form of politeness to emphasize that it is only your liking and not necessarily universal. Also see: buscon.rae.es/dpdI/… Feb 13, 2012 at 4:55

1 Answer 1

Te is weak and unstressed. If you want to stress the fact that it was you the one we chose, you have to add the stressed pronoun.

Te elegimos → We chose you.

Te elegimos a ti → We chose you.

This applies in general:

Te lo dije → I said it to you.

Te lo dije a ti → I said it to you (and not to him)

etc.

• Thank you! So, correct me if I'm wrong, it's allowed to repeat the objective pronoum (I'm not sure if they call it this way) every time we want to emphasize it.
    – andrerpena
    Feb 13, 2012 at 14:59
  • Yes. You can never omit the unstressed pronoun, but it isn't wrong to add the stressed one for emphasis.
    – angus
    Feb 14, 2012 at 1:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.