The Mexican newspaper El Universal runs several news items throughout the day across all its social media accounts. Of those, one particular practice that recently caught my attention is their use of this hashtag: #BajoReserva.

If I have noted correctly, they run at least one tweet with this hashtag every day. The piece with this hashtag also carries this tag on other platforms such as the El Universal app, its Facebook page, etc.

What could be the best way to interpret this expression in this context? I know the phrase literally translates as under reservation but in the context of news, it hardly makes any sense.

enter image description here

It means off the record, but here it's just the name of a newspaper column; I don't know if the information in it is necessarily obtained off the record.

• Ahhh...yes "off the record" makes sense. Is that like a well-known set phrase or something? – TheLearner Sep 7 '16 at 16:06
    @TheLearner: Generically it means in confidence or confidentially, and it's a known phrase. For the specific journalistic meaning, I think the English “off the record” is used more. At least it is in Argentina. – angus Sep 7 '16 at 16:24
  • I never have read bajo reserva as a synonymous with confidentially – Jdamian Sep 8 '16 at 7:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.