To start of, let me clarify what I "know" about "uno", "un", and "una":

• Uno is used when the object is not mentioned.
  • Un is when the object is mentioned.
  • Una is the feminine form of "Un".

(Again, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

With that said, how would these phrases be translated in Spanish. More importantly if we have a phrase where the amount is a two digit number or higher- except eleven- ending with 1 (i.e. 21, 41, 101), would the word "uno" change in certain conditions?

Phrases in question:

• "En julio hay treinta y un días." translates to ".... thirty-one days."
  • "Francisco tiene veinte y un años." translates to "... 21 years" (I especially have trouble convincing myself that this is the correct way even though I hear it as "....y uno años."
  • "Las frutas cuestan cincuenta y un centavos" translates to "....fifty-one cents" (Again, hard to believe, so please clarify).
    The "diccionario panhispánico de dudas" (doubts dictionary) from the Spanish Royal Accademy (RAE) has normally all the rules with really useful examples: lema.rae.es/dpd/?key=uno – Sergio Tx Aug 30 '16 at 11:13

Your examples are correctly translated. There is a rule to use 'un' when it is used as an adjective compound from one or more words and that precedes masculine nouns.

Veintiún libros.
Treinta y un lápices. 

But not when used with feminine nouns.

Veintiuna sillas.

Nor with prepositions

Veintiuno por ciento.

You can see the explanation here: http://www.rae.es/consultas/veintiuna-personas-veintiuno-por-ciento

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.