In English the lumbar region of the back is known as "the small of the back." Besides "región lumbar", does Spanish also have a non-technical term for this part of the body?

  • 2
    Espalda baja or parte baja de la espalda would be acceptable I think.
    – JMVanPelt
    Commented Aug 6, 2016 at 5:57
  • 5
    Espalda baja or Zona lumbar are the ones I know.
    – DGaleano
    Commented Aug 6, 2016 at 14:09
  • 2
    @DGaleano zona lumbar is the best way I think.
    – Schwale
    Commented Aug 6, 2016 at 15:20
  • 2
    In Spain we use to say "las lumbares": Me duelen las lumbares.
    – Ra_
    Commented Aug 8, 2016 at 8:59

1 Answer 1


The "small of the back" is known in Spanish as:

Espalda baja

Zona lumbar

Las lumbares (in Spain - see @Ra_ comment).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.