I am having trouble with the construcción of these types of sentences. Is it "Estoy esperando a que mi novio abre la puerta"? Or do you use the unconjugated abrir?

That's almost right. You need the subjunctive mood for abrir (i.e. abra) because you're describing an irrealis situation. The correct sentence would be:

Estoy esperando (a) que mi novio abra la puerta.

It is common to drop the preposition a in some countries such as Argentina or Chile, as per the comments, while it is kept in Spain.

Just a question, is it also right if you drop the a preposition? – Vladimir Nul Jul 29 '16 at 23:54
  • I cannot comment about "right" (I always despised the Spanish class at school), but in Argentina (where I grew up), no one would use the "a". – Martin Argerami Jul 30 '16 at 0:06
    @VladimirNu I don't know if it would be grammatically wrong, but I wouldn't drop it. Note how the meaning changes in the sentence Espero a que mi novio abra la puerta, wich expresses a fact, compared to Espero que mi novio abra la puerta, which expresses a wish or hope. When esperar is conjugated in a continuous tense (estoy esperando), it isn't generally understood as a wish, but I still would only drop the preposition a before a que when expressing a wish or hope. – Yay Jul 30 '16 at 0:06
  • @MartinArgerami that's what I meant, in Chile we also don't use it. – Vladimir Nul Jul 30 '16 at 0:08
    If you read the definition of esperar in the DRAE (yeah, the DLE, whatever), meanings 3 (transitive) and 4 (intransitive) are applicable here. They are very similar and, in fact, in this case they mean almost the same. So I think that using a or not is a question of personal taste. Being Spanish, I find Yay's proposal more natural, but I understand that other people prefer not using a and I would not find it weird. – Gorpik Jul 30 '16 at 14:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.