What are the differences for:

1. Llevo estudiando "XYZ"
  2. He estado estudiando "XYZ"
  3. Estoy estudiando "XYZ"

If I want to say "I have been studying a lot of AI topics for my research," can I say "Estoy estudiando mucha inteligencia artificial para mi investigación"? Would this mean I just start studying and I will continue doing so? Or would it mean I've been studying for a while?

Option 3 just means you are currently doing it, with no implication of past history or future intent. Jul 12 '16 at 23:27
  • To add to @VladimirNu correct answer that BTW does not address your 3rd question I'd like to add that depending on what you want to say you could use "mucha" o "mucho". "Estoy estudiando mucha IA" = (I'm studying lots of AI) or "Estoy estudiando mucho IA" = (I'm studying a lot about AI)
    – DGaleano
    Jul 13 '16 at 13:15

The first option is incomplete, you need to specify for how long:

Llevo estudiando español tres meses. = I've been studying spanish for three months.

Llevo tres meses estudiando español. = For the last three months I've been studying spanish.

Llevo estudiando mucho tiempo. = I've been studying for so/too long

Llevo tres días estudiando para mi examen final. = For the last 3 days I've been studying for my exam.

He estado estudiando para mi examen los últimos 3 días.

The meaning of this would be:

I have been studying for my exam for the last three days.

On the other hand you can omit the when and say like this:

He estado estudiando para mi examen, por eso no he tenido tiempo de llamarte.

He estado estudiando español durante mucho tiempo.

I have been studying for my exam, that's why I haven't call you.

I have been studying spanish for a long time.

And then you have this:

Estuve estudiando todo el fin de semana.

I was studying the whole weekend.

Does it make it more clear?

• Yes, I understand now. Thank you for your explanation. I appreciate it. Jul 13 '16 at 0:07
  • I'm glad to help Jul 13 '16 at 0:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.