I have heard:

ahí (te) va

ahí voy

ahí me hablas mañana

which nevertheless is pronounced stressed a, forming rather than a hiatus, a diphthong. For sure it's not meant ay, the interjection, since demonstrative ahí makes sense. I wonder which is the geographical extension of this. I guess it's pretty much the same case as Argentinian/Uruguayan Spanish, where written accents are not always taken into account.

Suppose you want to write a novel, where you want somebody like hear saying ahí in this intonation. How do you write it?!

• This is quite usual in colloquial speech in Aragón (Spain). – Gorpik Jul 11 '16 at 13:00
  • This never happensn in Chile. – Alejandro Jul 11 '16 at 13:15
  • Never heard that in Bolivia. – Delonix R. Jul 11 '16 at 13:39
  • Never heard that in Colombia either. – DGaleano Jul 11 '16 at 17:57
    @c.p. I would still write it as ahí. If readers are familiar with this intonation, they will pronounce it as ay however you write it, and if they are not, they won't understand why you spelled it as ay and will take it as a typo. In any case, I think it is preferable to go with ahí. As an aside, a similar stress shift happens with the adverb sino, often pronounced as sinó but never written with the accent mark. – Yay Jul 11 '16 at 18:41

In Mexico it's extremely popular:

ahí te encargo a la niña
ahí nos estamos hablando

But I think you're from there as well...

In many places, spanish speakers are used to pronouncing words in a different way when using a coloquial language. I think this is the case, in Mexico is very common to hear people pronouncing it in that way, but is not correct when talking properly. The meaning is the same as ahí, with no stress.

I think it is just a bad pronunciation of the word. Just a colloquialism. In my region, Andalusia, there some people that pronounce wrongly the word "vacía", and say "vacia". I think it the same but more extended. I can say that in the south of Spain we pronounce ahí.

Good luck with your research!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.