In "Smart Spanish for Tontos Americanos", it says that a person from Northern Baja California is called a "bajacaliforniano(a)" whereas someone from Southern Baja California is called a "sudcaliforniano(a)"

So what is a person from the southern part of the state of California in the United States called - someone from L.A. or San Diego or Redlands or such?

• What is Northern Baja California? I see in Wikipedia in Spanish Baja California with bajacaliforniano (included in the DRAE) and Baja California Sur with sudcaliforniano (not included). – fedorqui 'SO stop harming' Jun 20 '16 at 13:38
    After reading the question my mind was only capable to think "bajacalifornilísticoexpialidoso". :-) – Charlie Jun 20 '16 at 14:14
  • @fedorqui: I had never heard of Baja California broken up into two regions, either, but that's from the book referenced. The question remains the same, though, with "sudcaliforniano" sounding to me like what you would call Angelinos (and all other Californians up to at least Santa Barbara). – B. Clay Shannon Jun 20 '16 at 14:52
    I don't think there is such a demonym. In general, they just apply to real regions, not to parts of it. For cases like this I would use californiano del sur. But maybe there is something more specific that I am not aware of. – fedorqui 'SO stop harming' Jun 20 '16 at 14:54
  • Are you asking about southern Baja California, or Baja California Sur? Or both? – Flimzy Jun 21 '16 at 7:59

As indicated in comments, México has two regions with this name:

enter image description here

You want to know how to call people from the south of California, in United States. People from that state are called "californiano/a", but there is no such demonym to refer to a part of it.

For such cases, we use del sur, del norte or whatever. So, in this case, I would go for "californiano del sur". This gives us, Spanish speakers, a very clear view of the situation: you mention the gentilic and then add the cardinal point.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.