In the context of "I am double-jointed in the elbows." (Writing a detailed description of self in my assignment)

I've looked it up online and composed "Soy con articulaciones dobles en mi codos" from online Spanish trans. sources, but I don't know if that's accurate, or if that's how a native/someone well versed would say it.

There are several different ways to express double-jointedness.

• Soy hiperlaxo
    Use if you want to keep parallel structure with other adjectives. Not in the DRAE, but has a good usage online.
  • Tengo articulaciones dobles
    A colloquial form, obviously related to the English (though who borrowed/calqued from whom, I'm not sure).
  • Tengo hiperlaxitud articular.
    A slightly more technical sounding one, but perfectly usable.

Notice the latter two are the names of the condition, so you need to use them with tener. The first one is an adjective that can be used with ser. To say double-jointed as a modifier to a noun, you can either use hiperlaxo directly (tengo codos hiperlaxos) or use the latter two prefaced with con (tengo codos con hiperlaxitud articular / articulaciones dobles).

First two are commonly used. But I've heard the second is more used. – Alejandro May 30 '16 at 3:08
  • @Ustanak yeah, I confess to not having had many conversations on the topic, and between Google N-Grams and more general Google search, I couldn't determine a solid pattern of use. N-Grams shows articulaciones dobles being much more common up to the 1950s ish, and now hiperlaxitud articular is more common (in books, at least, with hiperlaxo never used in print). Online all three seem to be surprisingly roughly even split with some people using doble articulación as well, but I have no idea regional variations in usage, and G-hits aren't super accurate. – user0721090601 May 30 '16 at 3:13
  • Hiperlaxo is a technical word and the DRAE usually does not include technical words. It does not mean that it is incorrect at all; it just falls outside its domain. In this case, since I've never actually seen or heard articulaciones dobles, I would go for the technical word, but your mileage may vary. – Gorpik May 30 '16 at 14:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.