According to what I've read, the you say "headache" "dolor de cabeza". However, I seem to recall that one often talks about pain as being caused in an active manner by a part of the body, like "Mi cabeza me duele" (though I'm not certain on that conjugation). I'm therefore confused as to how you would talk about a headache and other such bodily ailments.

closed as unclear what you're asking by Alejandro, TreeHouse196, fedorqui May 18 '16 at 5:44

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Both work just fine: Tengo dolor de cabeza (I have a headache) and me duele la cabeza (My head hurts/aches). I'm not entirely sure what the exact question is, though. – guifa May 18 '16 at 1:47
    The question is unclear. What are you exactly aiming at? – Alejandro May 18 '16 at 1:50

Generally, in English, when we are talking about pain, we use the noun "I have a headache" or "I have a stomach ache", although we can refer to the pain as a verb "my head hurts" or "my stomach hurts", it is not as common.

Alternatively, if we don't have a common noun to describe the pain (say in your arm), we use the verb, "my arm hurts".

In Spanish, "dolor de cabeza" (literally, "pain of head") would be the noun equivalent to "headache", as in "tengo dolor de cabeza", while, "me duele la cabeza" (basically, "the head is hurting me") would be the verb version.

From what I understand, both are acceptable, although the verb might be more common.

• Both forms are acceptable and quite common. – Trap May 18 '16 at 9:27

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.