Is the word "verde" in this sentence considered to have a funcion of an adjective or a name?

Me gusta el verde de tu ojos.

I personally think it's of a name because it's making the word "verde" look like a noun but I'm not sure. What do you guys think?

3 Answers 3

From the DRAE (the dictionary of the Royal Spanish Academy)

1. m. Colorante o pigmento utilizado para producir el color verde.

So it is a noun

• Two additions: 1. If noun, should always be preceded by article. 2. If noun, always is male.
    – Rodrigo
    May 16, 2016 at 18:01

Verde here is an adjetivo sustantivado (i.e., an adjective that performs the function of a noun). You are not referring to a coloring (colorante o pigmento), but the color itself, and it is actually doing the job of a noun.

In English you do this all the time. In Spanish it is way less common, but it happens.

DRAE's entry for sustantivar leads to nominalizar, which unfortunately is too general, but touches the concept.

• I've been looking a more detailed, official source. As soon as I find one, I'll edit it into the answer.
    – Rafael
    May 16, 2016 at 19:48

Basically we are omitting a word here:

Me gusta el (color) verde de tus ojos.

color is the noun, and green is characterising the noun, so verde is an adjective.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.