enter image description here

Can anyone help me understand what it wants me to write for the question on "Marque la sílaba tónica?"

Also, what's the difference between ah, ha, a, and hay?

• I think you would learn more if you told us what you think the difference between ah, ha, a, hay and so on is then we can help you clarify any misunderstanding – mdewey May 16 '16 at 14:38
  • I think... a is for when you are going somewhere – user152099 May 16 '16 at 14:52
  • ah is when you are surprised about something – user152099 May 16 '16 at 14:52
  • ha is...it's hard for me to try to explain it but I think it means when you're asking for something like "ah visto este programa" – user152099 May 16 '16 at 14:53
  • And ay... ay gets me confused with ah because I look at them as if they were the same thing. – user152099 May 16 '16 at 14:53

Marque la sílaba tónica means you need to mark where the word is correctly stressed. Namely, ánimo, animo, ani are all different and the sílaba tónica is bolded to show the correct stress.

Regarding your other question, briefly:

1. ah shows realisation about something: ah, now I get it. (It's the same in English.)
  2. ha is the auxiliary verb for the third person present perfect form: él ha trabajado.
  3. a is a preposition.
  4. hay is the equivalent for the English there is/are.
  5. ¡ay! is for sudden actions: ¡ay! ¡Me duele!
  6. ahí is the equivalent for the English there.
| improve this answer | |
  • Thank you! Also, I just one one more question. How would you divide "Mariana" into syllabuses? Would it be "Ma-ri-a-na" or would it be "Ma-ria-na" and would the "sílaba tónica" be on the "ri" or "a" ? I'm not sure... – user152099 May 16 '16 at 14:57
  • @user152099 ma-ria-na and the bold syllabe is the tónica one. – Alejandro May 16 '16 at 14:58
  • Thank you! Sorry i'm bothering you so much but just to make sure...This is what I have so far for that – user152099 May 16 '16 at 15:01
  • Sorry i'm bothering you so much but just to make sure. This is what I have for my answers so far..: 1) Ma-ria-na llana 2) Ex-pli-ca-se-lo, subesdrujula 3) bue-ni-si-mo, esdrujula 4) mo-nu-men-to, llana 5) ja-po-nes, aguda 6) im-por-tan-te, llana 7) di-vier-te, llana 8) re-pu-bli-ca, esdrujula – user152099 May 16 '16 at 15:06
  • To come up with the syllabuses just look for the natural pauses as if you were sort of chanting. The would be ma-ri-a-na, Strong vowels (a, e, o) always form their own syllables: – Ricardo C May 16 '16 at 22:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.