Should I have to pluralize the "unas" and the "faldas" in this sentence if both sisters are wearing black skirts?

Las hermanas Guzmán llevan unas faldas negros.

• Si, menos ambos usan solo una falda. – B. Clay Shannon Apr 27 '16 at 23:03
    Unas faldas negras suena mejor. – jlliagre Apr 27 '16 at 23:26
    @jlliagre No es que suene. Debe ser así. – Alejandro Apr 27 '16 at 23:38
    If the noun ("faldas") is feminine and plural, then must also be feminine and plural both article ("unas") and adjective ("negras") that determine it. – Rodrigo Apr 27 '16 at 23:52
  • @Ustanak Claro que debe, es lo que quería decir jocosamente. – jlliagre Apr 27 '16 at 23:56

I disagree this time with both of the two former answers.

As far as I can tell, in Spanish these two constructions are valid:

Las hermanas Guzmán llevan unas faldas negras.

Las hermanas Guzmán llevan falda negra.

This is possible since common sense tells us that they cannot be wearing the same skirt at the same time.

The former idea is even valid if you say something like this:

Las hermanas Guzmán llevan la misma falda negra.

because in that case, it is understood that they are wearing the same model of skirt.

So, there's no risk in using falda in singular, even if there is more than one person involved.

As a side note, these other sentences are also valid:

Las hermanas Guzmán llevan una falda negra.

Las hermanas Guzmán llevan puesta una falda negra.

Las hermanas Guzmán están usando una falda negra.

I agree. If I hear or read "María y Ana llevaban un vestido rojo" I don't think, even for a second, that they where stuffed inside a single dress. – MikMik May 5 '16 at 11:14
    I totally agree with this answer. Sentences like los miembros del equipo español visten camiseta roja y pantalón azul are quite common. In fact, if I hear something like visten camisetas rojas y pantalones azules, it sounds kind of strange to me. – Charlie May 11 '16 at 11:44

Yes, otherwise they would both be wearing one skirt, which would be weird, unless perhaps they were Siamese twins. But whoever heard of someone from Siam named Guzman?

Yes, direct object, unas faldas negras needs to match the subject las hermanas in noun. Also, note that faldas is a feminine name in Spanish, so the adjective, negras, needs to match in genre as well.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.