I like to stay at home

Is it:

Me gusta quedar en casa

or

Me gusta quedarme en casa

1 Answer 1

Your second option is the right one. Quedarse is a pronominal verb because the pronoun "se" doesn't carry out any syntactic function, it always agrees with the subject, and it's necessary for all the conjugation forms of the verb. Moreover, the meaning of the verb changes when a pronoun is added:

• Quedan tres huéspedes = There are three guests left // Three guests remain.
  • Se quedan tres huéspedes = Three guests are staying.

There are other meanings (quedar bien = te leave a good impression; quedarse sin tiempo = to run out of time, etc.), but those are tangential to the question. However, one relevant meaning is "quedar" in the sense of "to meet". From WordReference:

Mi hija y sus amigas quedaron a las seis en el cine = My daughter and her friends arranged (or: planned) to meet at the cinema at 6 o'clock.

If what you intended to say is "I like to meet [my friends] at home" or "I like to hang out at home", then "Me gusta quedar en casa" is fine. If what you mean is "I like to stay at home", only "Me gusta quedarme en casa" is correct.

• The same happens with gustar. If we remove the object pronoun me in the sentence me gusta bañarme, it's not clear what you are addressing to: me gusta bañar (¿algo o alguien?) / me gusta bañarme (bañarme a mí en este caso)
    – Schwale
    Apr 2, 2016 at 17:36
  • @Ustanak, I do not agree with you -- The me you omitted has to do with bañar, not to do with gustar
    – Jdamian
    Apr 4, 2016 at 7:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.