I'm updating a list of employees for a client and came across one labeled as "Spanish Speaking." I'd like to replace that with the appropriate word or words in Spanish.

The three options I've found are:

• Habla Español
  • Hispanohablante
  • Hispanoparlante

But I'm not sure which one is correct, or if it even matters using English is fine. I'm trying to be both politically and linguistically correct.

I don't know if it matters in this context, but this client is likely to only be dealing with native Spanish speakers either from Mexico or the US.

• Hispanohablante is more common in Spain. I think hispanoparlante is preferred in Mexico but I'm not sure. Besides that, all three forms are grammatically correct but only the two last options are nouns/adjectives, while the first is a clause. Also, remember demonyms are never capitalized in Spanish. – Yay Mar 3 '16 at 22:01
  • @Yay Why are they never capitalized? I'm both curious, and I might need an argument for the client. I'm going to use the word as a continuation of the employee's title or a stand-alone line beneath. Would it still not be capitalized? – VampDuc Mar 3 '16 at 22:04
  • Nope. I cannot tell you why, it's just the rules. Adjectives aren't capitalized except when they are a part of a name (Puerto Rico, Estrella Polar, Biblioteca Nacional, Edad Media), or, occasionally, in certain titles (Isabel la Católica, Atila el Huno, el Cid Campeador), but not when they are a mere demonym. For an authoritative reference, see this entry on Diccionario panhispánico de dudas (only in Spanish). – Yay Mar 3 '16 at 22:23
  • Hispanohablante is preferred here in Mexico. – SergioCarlosFG Mar 3 '16 at 22:46

All work, but you need a de in front of habla española (note the gender) because that's a noun phrase rather than an adjective. You'll also hear the variants de habla hispana and de habla castellana, in addition to extra adjectival option hispanófono.

Based on Google's N-Grams, we can see that de habla [hispana/española/castellana] has historically been the most common structure, although hispanohablante is definitely rising in popularity. N-Grams doesn't distinguish by country, but I don't really ever hear hispanoparlante these days from anyone, and hear hispanohablante and the de habla X regularly enough that none strikes me as odd.

You can also do the same with most other languages:

• Portuguese: lusohablante, lusoparlante, lusófono, or de habla portuguesa
  • French: francohablante, francoparlante, francófono, de habla francesa
  • Chinese: sinohablante, sinoparlante, sinófono, de habla china
  • German: germanohablante, germanoparlante, germanófono, de habla alemana
  • Italian: italohablante, italoparlante, italófono, de habla italiana
  • English: anglohablante, angloparlante, anglófono, de habla inglesa

Note that the adjectival forms will use a compositional element based on the Latin form of the language's name, rather than an adjective, and so is often a teeny bit different (and other times very different) from the language's normal adjectival form.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.