onesie

In English, I call this a "onesie". Google Translate leaves it as "onesie". RAE doesn't have an entry for onesie, so clearly Google just didn't know what to do with the word.

2 Answers 2

There are dialectical variations. Since it's highly unlikely one person knows the terms all Spanish speaking countries use, maybe people from different countries can comment telling what word is used in their country. So here are the terms I've heard (some countries are from the RAE; I don't know whether these are correct or not):

• Body or bodi: España, Argentina y Chile (example)
  • Mameluco: Colombia, Cuba, Uruguay y México (example)
  • Pelele: Cuba, Honduras, México, Nicaragua y República Dominicana (example)
  • Pilucho: Chile (example)
  • Enterito: Argentina y Uruguay (example). Note: generally, an enterito also covers the legs.
  • Enterizo: (example). Note: generally, an enterizo also covers the legs.

Some of these also describe a feminine garment. To avoid ambiguity it's best to add "de bebé": bodi de bebé, enterito de bebé, etc. Also, it may be the case a term is not used, popular or natural sounding in a given country but understood nevertheless. It's also possible that several terms exist in several countries but mean different things. Unfortunately for Spanish learners, it's not easy to tell!

• Body is also used in Argentina cheeky.com.ar/bebe/bodies.html. An enterito usually has legs.
    – rsanchez
    Commented Feb 29, 2016 at 23:50
  • In Chile we prefer "pilucho". "Enterito" is also used but much less.
    – Rodrigo
    Commented Mar 1, 2016 at 0:20
  • Yay, body is widely used in Chile as well.
    – Schwale
    Commented Mar 1, 2016 at 2:23
  • Mameluco in Argentina is widely used for this, not so much for baby garments Commented Mar 1, 2016 at 3:47

The name of that garment is "Mameluco" o "Pelele"

see this i.e.: http://www.bebe2go.com/products/mameluco-ba-by

or

http://www.parabebes.com/revista/que-es-un-pelele

• RAE seems to list that as specific to Uruguay, Argentina and Cuba. I see you're from Colombia. Do you know if this is universal or regional? Commented Feb 29, 2016 at 22:54
  • Yes. In Colombia is very common. I used to work for a company that makes baby's garments and that is how they call it. As I understand it is used on all latinamerica but searching a little I found that in some places they also call it "Pelele". I do not know if they have a different name for it in Spain.
    – DGaleano
    Commented Feb 29, 2016 at 23:01
  • Hey, DGaleano! I've posted an answer with some terms I've heard in different countries. Maybe we can make a list with comments people post telling what word they use in their country. I believe I should add Colombia to "mameluco" and "pelele", right?
    – Yay
    Commented Feb 29, 2016 at 23:21
  • Hi @Yay. As always, good answer (+1). For Colombia just add Mameluco. Pelele is from some other places.
    – DGaleano
    Commented Feb 29, 2016 at 23:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.