Are the following sentences acceptable was to say, "I have no idea":

1. No tengo idea.
  2. No tengo ni idea.
  3. No tengo nada de idea.

Are there any additional ways to express this?

"No tengo nada de idea" doesn't sound too natural to me (Spain).
    – Yay
    Feb 5 '16 at 21:39
    Estoy de acuerdo con @Yay. Las dos primeras suenan bien. La tercera no.
    – DGaleano
    Feb 5 '16 at 21:41

Out of the three options you have, "No tengo ni idea" would be the most natural:

• No tengo ni idea de cómo resolver este problema.

A shortened version, "ni idea", can be used as well. But it's more frequently used as an answer.

• ¿Cuándo construyeron este monumento?
  • Ni idea.

You can use also "No tengo la menor idea" (I don't have the slighest/faintest idea).

"no tengo idea" es más natural para mí :-)

Other way includes y yo qué sé.
To my ear, no tengo idea is the most used. Even the expression no tengo ninguna idea is widely used as a double negative to show emphasis. However, the expression no tengo nada de idea seems to have been taken from a translator, and this form is not idiomatic.

The most common way to say "I have no idea" is "No tengo ni idea". Also, you can say only "ni idea", for example:

-¿Sabes cómo se llama ese chico? (Do you know the name of that boy?) -Ni idea. (No idea, that is "I have no idea")

The second one is most used in colloquial situations.

My tendency would be to say

No tengo la menor idea.

Ni tengo una idea

sounds like it would work.

• You should elaborate a little bit more why. I actually don't think it works. The meaning to me is closer to "Neither I have and idea" quite different from the original intent "I have no idea".
    – Diego
    Feb 6 '16 at 18:19
  • @Diego Well may be that's why he put would work instead of will work. But, this answer should've been more elaborated.
    – Schwale
    Feb 6 '16 at 23:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.