I am a native Spanish speaker that lives in the US. I don't get to practice often, but I do alright with my skills. But I'm not good at knowing words for specific hobbies/industries. I am working on a project where I need to know the Spanish terms for common poker things/situations. Can anyone provide insight into the following poker terms:

• Flush
  • Straight
  • Suited (not like the name of the suits, but like "I have two cards of the same suit" or "I have suited cards")
  • Full House
  • Jack (like the name of the card. I know there's "reyes" and "reinas" but I have no idea what you call a Jack)

Please note that I need the poker terms for these, not direct translations of the words. Like I know how to translate a "full house" literally but I doubt that's the actual poker term in Spanish.

I do not agree with the other answers, specially with the gender. They seem literally taken from google translator. As a native speaker and player of Poker I can answer with this vocabulary from the basics of Poker:

Cards: cartas

Blinds: ciega

Small Blind: ciega pequeña

Big Blind: ciega grande

Chips: fichas

Pre-flop: it does not have translation, the same word is used as in english (pre-flop)

Flop: same as in english (flop)

River: river (same as in english)

Raise: aumentar

Fold: retirarse (big fail of other answers)

Call: igualar

Bet: apostar

Limit Poker: póquer limitado

Jackpot: bote

Muck: cartas descartadas

Pot Limit: limite del bote

Pair: pareja

Jack: jota

Joker: jóquer

Full house: the same, full house

All-in: apostarlo todo

Burn: quemar (action between river, flop, etc)

2 pair: doble pareja

Straight: escalera

Flush: color

Suited: cartas del mismo palo

For more details, just answer or visit the following link: https://www.pokerstars.es/poker/terms/

An alternative word for Joker is comodín. es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comod%C3%ADn – Santiago Tórtora Jun 23 '16 at 14:21
  • Me agrada esta traduccion. Solo quiero agregar algunas alternativas coloquiales que usamos en Mexico: Pair: (Un) par; 2 Pairs: Dos pares; Straight: Corrida; Three of a kind: Tercia – Lalo Sánchez Jul 26 '19 at 23:02

At least in Spain

Flush: Color

Straight: Escalera

Suited: "Del mismo palo", literally "of the same suit".

Full House: Full

Jack: Jota (like the letter J). In the Spanish deck, it's called Sota though.

Great list from here.

• Cards: cartas

• Blinds: a ciegas

• Small Blind: el ciego pequeño

• Big Blind: el ciego grande

• Chips: fichas

• The Button: el botón

• Pre-flop: ronda inicial de apuestas (just say pre-flop though)

• Flop = "flop" just use the english word for flop, turn, and river

• Raise: aumentar

• Fold: doblar

• Call: ver

• Bet: apostar

• Limit Poker: póquer limitado

• NL Holdem: holdem ilimitado

• Pot Limit: limite de pozo

• 2 pair: dos pares

• straight: escalera

• flush: colores

• Pot as «pozo» looks wrong to me. And «el ciego» with article, or «colores» in plural have a Google Translate feeling. I don't think the page is (linguistically) trustworthy. – guillem Feb 5 '16 at 8:29
    @Ustanak If you have a problem with the mistakes then suggest corrections instead of calling out people. This is a community that strives for learning and tolerance. Perfect English in a Spanish language and usage forum is not necessary. Please refrain from such remarks in the future as they are not constructive criticism. – Joze Feb 7 '16 at 15:06
    @FerranBuireu Same goes to you. Point out what the mistakes are in the future to improve the answer. – Joze Feb 7 '16 at 15:08
    @Joze Thanks for answering, I will try in the future to comment to improve answers in the comments instead of the post to avoid misunderstandings – Ferran Buireu Feb 7 '16 at 17:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.