I've been taking Spanish lessons through Duolingo and came across a question where a girl says "I sleep alone and eat alone." and you are asked to select the options for which is correct. It gave two answers that it says are correct:

• "Yo duermo sola y como sola." <-- I chose this one.
  • "Yo duermo solo y como solo." <-- but this one was also listed as correct

Can either gender properly say either of those statements? Or should feminine/masculine speakers use their appropriate adjectives?

It's worth to mention that it's not necessary to write the same word twice: yo duermo y como sola(o). (It's clear that you also sleep alone.) – Alejandro Jan 27 '16 at 15:56

In spanish the 90% of adjectives has masculine and feminine gender. If you are a male, you have to choose the second option:

Yo duermo solo y como solo

If you are female you have to choose the first one:

Yo duermo sola y como sola

This is one of the most difficult things for foreigners, choose the right gender appropriately.

I'll try to give you a useful clue that will help you:

• Gender male: adjective normally ends with -e, -i, -o, -u (in singular) and -es, -is, -os and -us (in plural). In your case (assuming that you are a male, you have to choose one of this, solo to be exact)
  • Female gender: adjective normally ended with -a (in singular) and -as (in plural).

If you want more information I can edit the post and give you some examples or expand some parts to give you more information.

Hope it helps!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.