I came across it in Memrise app and found no more information about it in the app, googled for it some, but found nothing reasuring.

(I had no idea which tag to put.)

Thanks for your time.

• Why don't you just google "se Spanish" and "ha Spanish"? The first hits I got explain it with full details. – Yay Jan 18 '16 at 17:54
  • it is the same as asking what is the origen of "has" and what is the origen of "been" – DGaleano Jan 18 '16 at 19:14
  • Yay | I searched SpanishDict.com and googled things like "ser conjugation". You're correct, if I googled that, I probably wouldn't be here. – Cuu5W357 Jan 18 '16 at 20:11
  • DGaelano | I thought se was conjugation of ser, and didn't know which one... – Cuu5W357 Jan 18 '16 at 20:14
  • If you want an explanation it would be better if you provided some context. Where did you encounter "se ha"? What was the rest of the sentence? In Spanish, "se" has like six different meanings, and it's really hard to tell which one it is with so little information. – Yay Jan 18 '16 at 20:44

It's the reflexive passive construction for the perfect tense.

Reflexive passive constructions are widely used in Spanish, but some of them can't be literally translated as they look.

It has been told = Se ha dicho. (Ha sido dicho.)

We omit been = estado, sido when we want to use the reflexive passive construction.

Note that both options work when dealing with transitive verbs:

The stadium has been built = El estadio ha sido construído = El estadio se ha construído.

| improve this answer | |
  • I unederstand it completely now. Mainly I just needed to hear that se is a reflexive pronoun, that alone clarified a lot of things (I'm about 3 months into learning Spanish). Thanks again. – Cuu5W357 Jan 18 '16 at 19:52
  • @user11736 It's a long way. The pronoun se will be with you always in different cases. – Alejandro Jan 18 '16 at 23:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.