What I have is Amoroso tú es rojo, but when I type this into Google Translate it isn't what I expect and I've learnt to not really trust it. So, is my translation correct?

• The translation is wrong. Could you explain in English what does it mean to love someone like that? Commented Jan 7, 2016 at 22:32

1 Answer 1

In English there is a tendency to associate feelings with colors that does not exist in Spanish. Feeling blue is "sentirse triste" but in no way is "sentirse azul"

In English blue is sad, green is hope, red is love or happiness but this has no meaning at all in Spanish.

To illustrate here is the second part of the song you mention.

Losing him was blue like I'd never known

Missing him was dark grey all alone

Forgetting him was like trying to know somebody you never met

But loving him was red

Loving him was red

So I guess the way to say "Loving you is red" in Spanish is something like "Amarte me hace muy feliz" but you can find a thousand better ways to say it than using colors. XD

Good song BTW

Worse, some of the colors can have different associations. Calling someone green in Spanish vs in English .... Commented Jan 7, 2016 at 18:29
  • In English, "green" means inexperienced, pero ¿què significa si le dices "verde" a alguien? Es una frase que jamàs he oìdo. Commented Jan 7, 2016 at 22:21
    Depende de que venga antes del verde. Ejemplo, estas verde significa inmaduro pero viejo verde significa acosador Commented Jan 7, 2016 at 22:30
    @MasonWheeler what Matias says, plus ponerse verde (de envidia) or poner verde (a críticas) a alguien.
    – guillem
    Commented Jan 8, 2016 at 12:41
  • Estas verde o eres un viejo verde no hablan de sentimientos que es el tema de la pregunta. En Español hablamos de "verde/morado de envidia", "rojo de vergüenza", "rojo de rabia" pero en inglés frecuentemente el color por si solo expresa el sentimiento por ejemplo en frases como "I'm blue" o en "I saw red".
    – DGaleano
    Commented Jan 8, 2016 at 13:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.