The dictionaries I've checked all translate it as "to write" but my Mexican girlfriend assures me that this fails to capture the whole meaning. What's the closest word or phrase in English?

  • "to draw up"?
    – fedorqui
    Commented Dec 18, 2015 at 13:30
  • 2
    I would also suggest "to write" or "to write up", if that makes any difference. What about redact? You could also use "compose", "edit" and a plethora of synonyms, but the key is why does you Mexican girlfriend say that it does not capture the whole meaning. Which aspects are missing? You could also ask her what would she suggest.
    – Diego
    Commented Dec 18, 2015 at 14:02
  • 1
    @Diego I don't know about enGB and elsewhere, but in enUS, to redact is almost exclusively used to mean to delete, so I'd highly recommend against using to redact. Compose or write up work well. Commented Dec 19, 2015 at 15:33

2 Answers 2


What about to draft or sometimes to compose? It seems what I've gathered from definitions such as these is that it is a formal verb that covers all the actions involved in the professional composition of documents.


Redactar comes from the ver to write in Spanish but is a word that joins the idea of writing something that has passed as: "Luis redacta todas las cartas en el periódico".

So I will still use write as part of your sentence and I will probably add up some words that it will intensify the meaning of it as:

Luis is the one in charge of writing and editing all the letters at the newspaper

As Diego suggested, compose and edit can help out to develop the meaning of your sentence.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.