In English we use "typo" quite extensively to indicate a little error that was done due to inaccuracy while typing.


He wrote my name as Jhon instead of John. It must have been a typo.

I wonder: is there any equivalent in Spanish for such word? I am thinking on "errata" but I don't know if this is still missing some context (because my English is not perfect so I may be losing part of its original meaning).

  • The Spanish word for that is Errata as stated on @jsantander answer. I think that should be the accepted answer.
    – DGaleano
    Commented Nov 19, 2015 at 18:48
  • 1
    Great!. Now we have 3 one-word translations. Errata, pifia, gazapo.
    – DGaleano
    Commented Oct 26, 2016 at 13:26

7 Answers 7


No es un solo vocablo, pero la locución más frecuente es error tipográfico, la cual es un calco de la locución (typographical error) de que proviene el término typo en inglés.

  • 2
    También error de tipeo.
    – rsanchez
    Commented Nov 3, 2015 at 15:34
  • 4
    If the mistake appears in a printed text, you could also say error de imprenta.
    – JMVanPelt
    Commented Nov 4, 2015 at 2:01

Errata is a correct translation for typo.

Looking up typo:

a mistake (such as a misspelled word) in typed or printed text

And looking up errata:

  1. f. Equivocación material cometida en lo impreso o manuscrito.

The above defintion would imply any written error (both printed and non printed), with error tipográfico allowing to specify that it refers to a problem in the composition of a text. However, the common use is probably restricted to only printed text: For example a newspaper or a second edition of a publication might contain a fe de erratas: a list of the errors/typos in the previous edition.


Sí, errata es una, la otra es blunder que significa pifia, o sea un pequeño errorcito en la escritura. (Aunque no necesariamente pifia implica error en la escritura, se suele usar para otras cosas que conlleven errores leves.)

  • La redacción es confusa: ¿"blunder" en castellano o en inglés? Nótese también que "conllevar", no "conllevar a"
    – fedorqui
    Commented Nov 3, 2015 at 13:47
  • Ah qué bien, no sabía lo de conllevar. Me refiero a que pifia es la otra forma para expresar la errata.
    – Schwale
    Commented Nov 3, 2015 at 14:18
  • Mmm no acabo de estar de acuerdo. Para mí, "pifia" tiene una connotación más fuerte. De la DRAE, Error, descuido, paso o dicho desacertado
    – fedorqui
    Commented Nov 3, 2015 at 14:21
  • La RAE es muy estricta. En mi país pifia se usa bastante para connotar errores que son leves, no implica que sea algo prácticamente grave.
    – Schwale
    Commented Nov 3, 2015 at 14:24

In Costa Rica, it's popular to call this "un dedazo".


Tal vez gazapo

Yerro que por inadvertencia deja escapar quien escribe o habla


Una forma menos formal de llamarlo es "error de dedo".

Escribió mi nombre Jhon en vez de John. Debió ser un error de dedo.


"Error de ortografía" is the one I use always. Longer but safer.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.